Other Guitars Incorporating Rickenbacker Design Elements

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

T28

Re: Other Guitars Incorporating Rickenbacker Design Elements

Post by T28 »

I picked up one of those Jacksons a few months ago when Musicians Friend had an overstock sale for $499. For that price it was well worth the investment. Overall build is pretty nice and I only had to make minor adjustments and tweaks to get things the way i like them. Down the road i will probably change out the pups but for now it is a good sounding and playing bass that feels similar to a Rick. IMO it is the perfect dive bar bass.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

T28 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:02 pm I picked up one of those Jacksons a few months ago when Musicians Friend had an overstock sale for $499. For that price it was well worth the investment. Overall build is pretty nice and I only had to make minor adjustments and tweaks to get things the way i like them. Down the road i will probably change out the pups but for now it is a good sounding and playing bass that feels similar to a Rick. IMO it is the perfect dive bar bass.
I usually just play my Ricks in dive bars.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Korladis wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:34 am
T28 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:02 pm I picked up one of those Jacksons a few months ago when Musicians Friend had an overstock sale for $499. For that price it was well worth the investment. Overall build is pretty nice and I only had to make minor adjustments and tweaks to get things the way i like them. Down the road i will probably change out the pups but for now it is a good sounding and playing bass that feels similar to a Rick. IMO it is the perfect dive bar bass.
Here's me playing one of my Ricks in a dive bar. :D
:mrgreen:

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jps wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:28 pm
Korladis wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:34 am
Here's me playing one of my Ricks in a dive bar. :D
:mrgreen:

That was to celebrate my having the bass for 30 years at that point. I don't remember what it had to drink.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Came across this in an ad in VG.
Rocca Guitars.jpg
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

jps wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:35 pm Came across this in an ad in VG.

Rocca Guitars.jpg
That looks pretty cool. Referencing the Rickenbacker style sound-holes without being a clone of them.
Dom

Post by Dom »

Anyone else notice the glaring similarities between the “new” Gibson Theodore and the Ric tulips? I think I can guess as to why that Gibson was never released…

…which gets me hypothesizing that Rossmeisl brought it to Rickenbacker after he left Gibson and beat them to it.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Dom wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:40 pm Anyone else notice the glaring similarities between the “new” Gibson Theodore and the Ric tulips? I think I can guess as to why that Gibson was never released…

…which gets me hypothesizing that Rossmeisl brought it to Rickenbacker after he left Gibson and beat them to it.
Yeah, not disguised too well, is it. But I think the body shape may have been discontinued by Rickenbacker before they started trademarking everything, so this one, as well as guitars that look like Combo 600's as I first posted, may get by as having been lost to public domain.
Gibson-Theodore@2000x1500-696x522.jpg
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

iiipopes wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:51 pm
Dom wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:40 pm Anyone else notice the glaring similarities between the “new” Gibson Theodore and the Ric tulips? I think I can guess as to why that Gibson was never released…

Yeah, not disguised too well, is it. But I think the body shape may have been discontinued by Rickenbacker before they started trademarking everything, so this one, as well as guitars that look like Combo 600's as I first posted, may get by as having been lost to public domain.
Gibson-Theodore@2000x1500-696x522.jpg
Not gonna comment on these, but here's hoping they become a Rally "investment" https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/gibso ... -platform/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dom

Post by Dom »

“Experience” shares of a guitar you can never own! That is the most Gibson thing to do. The one I had fell apart at a rate eerily similar to that valuation chart… :lol:
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I just saw this on TalkBass, and the thread author admits to the design being inspired by the Combo 600 body shape, and note the headstock shape:
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/combol ... t.1561678/
One of many images on the thread:
Comboluxe_IG2 (2).jpg
espidog

Post by espidog »

Ewwww... that's WAY too close for comfort, especially the headstock.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”