Rickenbacker To Stop Lacquering Fretboads Starting Now

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

espidog

Re: Rickenbacker To Stop Lacquering Fretboads Starting Now

Post by espidog »

On all my basses with unlacquered rosewood or ebony fingerboards, I use a product called "Dunlop 02 Deep fingerboard conditioner". It's a light oil-based product. You apply it straight to the wood (the bottle has a felt pad applicator), then leave it to soak in a while before wiping away any surplus with a clean tissue or cotton wool pad. This brings off any surface dirt.

NOTE: This product should not be used on maple boards.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is the fingerboard totally unfinished, or is there something, say, a sealer coat on it?
Webbhead68

Post by Webbhead68 »

I got a 330 with the un-lacquered board.. My fingers definitely don't glide as smooth as it does on my 2019 360. Kind of a bummer.. But I guess if I want newer gear I gotta get used to it.
thevince

Post by thevince »

I can't tell if the fretboard is totally unfinished. I attached 2 pictures to show the details of the fretboard. This is a 2021 620/12.

My fretboard is getting dark discoloration where my fingers are most frequently. I'd like to know how to clean this off without damaging the guitar in any way. For this string change, I just wiped it off with an old Ric cloth as best as I could.

I slightly prefer the lacquered fretboards, though I enjoy this guitar quite a lot all the same. It wasn't a deal breaker for me and wasn't as big of an adjustment as I expected. I do miss the red tint and texturing bubinga fretboards had, though.
Attachments
620-12FB-A.jpg
620-12FB-B.jpg
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

I'm on the "WTH?" side of this fence. I don't know what year they started lacquering the fretboards, or if it was even consistently done year-to-year and model-to-model. And while it is not unique to Ric, it has always been one of those distinguishing aesthetic characteristics of a Ric to me. I have a 2002 360/12 and every time I look at it I think to myself "ooh...shiney" :). I was considering getting a new 620, which I have no doubt would be awesome, and the lack of the fretboard lacquer will feel like something is missing.

I suspect this is strictly a cost-saving thing. This is what corporations do: find ways to cut costs and features and still keep people to buying their products. I suppose it could also be due to the fret-bubbling thing someone mentioned. I have never experienced that with mine or the other two non-Rics I have with lacquered fretboards, but if they are servicing a high number of warranty service incident for that, that could be a factor in the decision.

So Ric, while you are making changes, how about adding an extra 1/8th inch to those narrow 12-string model necks?
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I just got a Sept 2022 build of a 330 and it does have the lacquered fretboard again.
I saw a post where someone mentioned a July 2022 330 with an unlaquered fretboard, so they restarted somewhere last summer.
-Austin
collin

Post by collin »

thevince wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:51 am I can't tell if the fretboard is totally unfinished. I attached 2 pictures to show the details of the fretboard. This is a 2021 620/12.

My fretboard is getting dark discoloration where my fingers are most frequently. I'd like to know how to clean this off without damaging the guitar in any way. For this string change, I just wiped it off with an old Ric cloth as best as I could.
It's definitely unfinished (just oiled).

That discoloration is how any dark unfinished fretboard wears, just look at any Fender or Gibson guitar. That's precisely the downside when dropping the finish from the fretboards.

It does sound like they've gone back to the finished fretboards, which personally I think is a great move. It's part of the character of Rickenbackers. It makes more sense to suggest the minority of people who want an unfinished board simply strip the finish off their guitar, versus the other way around.
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Hopefully lacquered fingerboards returning is a real thing. I've been shopping for a 360/6 and have passed on quite a few because they have an unfinished board. I'll have to wait for the next production runs if the right pre-owned deal doesn't come up.
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

Same here. I was seriously considering getting a new 620. Then I saw this thread and thought to myself "hmmm, that wouldn't quite be a Rick without the lacquered fretboard". Not a whole bunch of them available at the moment anyway, so I guess I'll wait to see what pops up in the coming months too.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

brianeharmonjr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:36 am Hopefully lacquered fingerboards returning is a real thing. I've been shopping for a 360/6 and have passed on quite a few because they have an unfinished board. I'll have to wait for the next production runs if the right pre-owned deal doesn't come up.
Oh, it's a real thing!

Here is my Sept 2022 330 I just received from Musicians Friend last week:

I was pretty happy when I opened the case for the first time, because I wasn't sure what fretboard I was getting.
I guess I don't know for sure about the 360s, but if the 330s have gone back, then looks like we're heading in the right direction...
-Austin
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can you make some more close-up photos of the fingerboard, from several different angles? Closer than the one above, and at higher resolution?

TIA
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

jps wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:37 am Can you make some more close-up photos of the fingerboard, from several different angles? Closer than the one above, and at higher resolution?

TIA
Let me know if these are helpful!

-Austin
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks!
duojet

Post by duojet »

I just acquired a new 330-12,and absolutely love the satin fretboard. I never had a problem with the (fairly thick) lacquered fretboards but this just looks really classy and feels great.IMHO,a smart decision by Rickenbacker. I am very surprised that the feel difference matters so much- the look and playability is identical to my 335. Is the Rickenbacker fretboard made of Laurel?
anothersixstringer

Post by anothersixstringer »

Just got a brand new 2023-Sep 360JG, was happy to receive the lacquered fingerboard 🙂👍

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”