(Modern) radio days...

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Sugarcane

(Modern) radio days...

Post by Sugarcane »

I wanted to give myself a recovery treat. Nothing fancy, but something music related that would be practical and not necessarily hi fi.

Being a vinyl and classic radio enthusiast, I've been looking forward to buying a Philetta 254, just to own one, and also to put together a music room with a nice Marantz hi fi set.

It happens, though, that Philettas aren't very easy to come across here. Besides, all AM stations are dead by now, FM is going digital pretty soon too. So a 50s Philetta will be just a venerable piece of wood and tubes very soon. Also, although I own some great vinyl records, both vintage and 180 gram, I got married recently and moved in an apartment with my wife and stepdaughter, so we don't really have space for a music room that accomodates my guitars, gear and a hi fi set, right now.

Anyway, living in a constant rush due to work and everything, I really thought I could use something better than an iphone to listen to music (I end up not touching my LPs and listening to everything on Apple Music), and found out that Philips had made an hommage to the Philetta 254, a pretty cool wood encased radio unit which features FM radio, DAB and bluetooth, with pretty nice 20 watt amplifying for the size.

https://www.philips.co.nz/c-p/TAVS700_10/original-radio

Pulled the trigger, Amazon will deliver it today.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”