Incoming 4003s

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

condo

Incoming 4003s

Post by condo »

Guitar player here ... just bought a rick bass ... https://reverb.com/item/44740419-2020-r ... -with-ohsc
My Dad and Son play guitar too, so I was thinking one of us could play bass instead of all three playing guitar at once. Gonna need a living room friendly amp for it, any suggestions?

The neck vintage pickus look legit to me but I'm basing that on the grey shielding... not sure ... comes with the stock pickups too. What about the horseshoe pickup is that a rick shoe or an aftermarker, Lollar perhaps? The dealer didnt know.

So its kind of like a 4001v63 with the pickup changes and laquered fretboard. But it has the newer bridge. ... Do guys play flat wounds or rounds? If I want to switch to flats what guage and brand do you all suggest?

Thanks a bunch :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Incoming 4003s

Post by jps »

Your link doesn't seem to come up with the bass you bought as those shown are stock, no HS PU or vintage neck pickup (I assume you mean a toaster?).

Guys play both rounds and flats, depending on what's needed at any particular time. This means you will need to buy a second 4003S so that you can have both available. :wink: :mrgreen: :D
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

FYI 4003 were designed with rounds in mind.

In that Reverb listing, that's just a plastic pickup cover over the bridge, not an actual Horseshoe pickup, and no neck toaster there, looks stock to me.

It depends on the tone you're shooting for.

Enjoy the new bass.
Dirk
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

D'Addario Chromes are great flats for a Ric.
For rounds I like the Rickenbacker bass strings Rickenbacker makes (they should come stock on your bass) and also DR Fatbeams, and Rotosound SM 66 sound great. SM66 if you are looking foe a broad, massive sound. Fatbeams for a darker more mysterious sound yet retains clear highs and a very responsive punch, Ric strings for the most clarity and presence but with some added warmth and even midrange.
Last edited by lumgimfong on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

FYI linking to a sold item on Reverb takes you NOT to the item sold, but others like it that you can buy.
condo

Post by condo »

Ok here are hopefully links to the pics from the listing from reverb Sorry about the botched link earlier.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Very nice, John! Do the right thing and rotate the HS PU surround to properly orient it. This will require drilling four small screw holes, but the bass will look so much better, and proper, if you do, IMO.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I agree with Jeff.

NIce Rick.
"Knowledge is Power"
ram

Post by ram »

I agree withScott.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Ah yes that's a very different picture, congrats.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Beautiful bass!

So the original owner was trying to make it a 1999 Rose Morris by putting a toaster and a horseshoe in it? Do those pick ups sound any different than the stock hi gains?

Either way I’m sure it’ll sound fantastic and be a great bass. Congratulations! Sure is beautiful.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:Do those pick ups sound any different than the stock hi gains?
Yes they do, particularly, the toaster, for sure. I have not heard the later version of the RI horseshoe pickup that is wound lower than the earlier ones so I don't know how they how compare to hi-gains.
condo

Post by condo »

Thanks for replies, advice, and compliments :)
I did not know about flipping the pick up around.
That's why I love this place!
I will report back after it arrives :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

condo wrote:I did not know about flipping the pick up around.
The pickup, itself, is fine, just rotate the surround to orient it like is should be. 8) Some dissasembly will be required, but that will simple get you to know your Rick better. :!:
condo

Post by condo »

It’s here!!!!

I want to try out the TI flat wound strings. Assuming the nut on my bass is stock what pack of TIs should I order?

I’ll flip the bridge bezel when I restring it. :)

Thanks John

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”