PURE TUNG OIL

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

andyenobs

PURE TUNG OIL

Post by andyenobs »

Hi all.
I have recently oiled my Walnut 360/6 with Tung oil in accordance with the Rickenbacker handbook and have learnt a couple of things in doing it. When wiping any excess oil off the guitar be thorough as once it dries it leaves a trace of the excess which in certain places doesn't look great. For example on the top near the jack plug socket. The area is quite narrow and it is difficult to go with the grain as recommended and if you are heavy with it the oil leaves a trace going across the grain. It is therefore very important not to put on too much oil.
The other thing is not to get it on the pickguard. I thought I had wiped the top edges of the pickguard clean but some has dried on and now I am struggling to clean it off. I don't know what to use that will not take the finish off the pickguard. Any ideas anyone ? Any help would be much appreciated.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: PURE TUNG OIL

Post by jdogric12 »

I feel for you. I used some of the tung oil I had sitting around for the 380L on some cheap wood shelves the wife bought and yeah, if you use too much it never dries! Maybe try using a new, clean, very soft toothbrush to get it out of the grain? As for the guard, I'd remove it and wipe like there is no tomorrow.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Took your advice jdogric12. Took off all the controls and washed the pickguard in warm soapy water and used one of those kitchen sponges with the slight abrasive side and cleaned off the hardened oil without damaging the finish. Also while the pickguards were off put a light oil over the bad bits using fine 3M wire wool and it is now sorted. And from all this I have learnt when I next oil the body I will take off the pickguards for better access and to make the job easier.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

The manual says scotch brite ultra fine hand pad #7448.
Wipe a light coat til uniformly coated then use scotch brite pad to lightly sand surface going with wood grain direction til it takes on its original silky smooth feel. Use clean lint free cloth to wipe down any excess oil or grit. Allow 8-12 hrs for drying.

NO steel wool
NO black sand paper

Minimum grade 1200 ultra fine light or gray sandpaper can also be used.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”