Fall 2021: Best place to order a new Rick. . .

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Kingbreaker

Fall 2021: Best place to order a new Rick. . .

Post by Kingbreaker »

. . . that is not listed as "In Stock." I posted in a subforum with no responses, so I figured I would try here.

What online retailers have the best customer service and (distantly second) price?

I would go with Pick of the Ricks but they don't appear to sell Ricks anymore.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Fall 2021: Best place to order a new Rick. . .

Post by lumgimfong »

Dave’s Guitars Wisconsin had excellent service and best price I could find in 2016.
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

I can wholeheartedly recommend Andy Babiuk’s Fab Gear.
I’ve bought 4 new Ricks (3 guitars and a bass) from him and if I buy any more, they’ll be from him.

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Kingbreaker wrote:. . . that is not listed as "In Stock."
…I don’t understand this, so I’ll just leave it alone, other than reminding that an authorized Rick dealer can order whatever you want.
OK, STRIKE THAT… (above) …. I simply don’t understand the advantage of that, I guess.

Here’s a place with a good rep, although I’ve never purchased anything from them. Lots of Ricks “in stock” listed, along with their respective weights, AND (surprisingly) their price — when did RIC start allowing that? I don’t think you’ll find new Ricks discounted here, but I’m a used guitar guy and don’t follow the market.

Anyway, take a look…

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-cat ... kenbacker/

… PS - It seems that all the new guitars are 12-string…
Last edited by maxwell on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

maxwell wrote: AND (surprisingly) their price — when did RIC start allowing that?
Those are just list prices. I would hope no one is paying list price!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

I used Pick Of The Ricks, but as stated above, they are no longer in the guitar selling business. So...

One time Pick Of The Ricks did not have in stock what I was looking for (a Miami 325), so I (don't throw tomatoes at me) went to one of the two big internet musical gear sellers (Sweetwater). The price they gave me (20% off list) and the service they afforded me were both top shelf. Yes, those big internet sites can actually make customers very happy.
Kingbreaker

Post by Kingbreaker »

maxwell wrote:
Kingbreaker wrote:. . . that is not listed as "In Stock."
…I don’t understand this, so I’ll just leave it alone, other than reminding that an authorized Rick dealer can order whatever you want.
OK, STRIKE THAT… (above) …. I simply don’t understand the advantage of that, I guess.

Sorry I wasn't clear, but the point of ordering an "in stock" guitar is that it arrives in 12 days rather than 12 months.
Kingbreaker

Post by Kingbreaker »

maxwell wrote:
https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-cat ... kenbacker/

… PS - It seems that all the new guitars are 12-string…
I'm actually in the market for a 660/12 JG. There is one up on Reverb but I'd prefer new if possible. A 1993+ would be wonderful other than the price and the 6-string bridge.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Sweetwater has serioulsy upped its Rick game in the last couple of years, I'm not gonna lie I've bought a few from them and they're killing it.
Kingbreaker

Post by Kingbreaker »

jdogric12 wrote:
maxwell wrote: AND (surprisingly) their price — when did RIC start allowing that?
Those are just list prices. I would hope no one is paying list price!
I sent an email to Babiuk's and they are. And given the limited supply, it feels justified.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

jdogric12 wrote:Sweetwater has serioulsy upped its Rick game in the last couple of years, I'm not gonna lie I've bought a few from them and they're killing it.
Yes, but us musicians (even us bedroom players) are supposed to only buy from ma and pop stores. Pay more, sometimes worse service...but we are doing our part to keep the ma and pop stores going. Why we have to do that part I do not know.

My local ma and pop music store is a nice place. Anything small I need (strings, capo, picks, straps...) I go there. But guitars? They are so overpriced at my local ma and pop store. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars more. Am I supposed to be buying a guitar or giving to a charity?
Kingbreaker

Post by Kingbreaker »

jdogric12 wrote:Sweetwater has serioulsy upped its Rick game in the last couple of years, I'm not gonna lie I've bought a few from them and they're killing it.
No 660/12's in JG listed, but if they have to order them anyway I guess I could ask. . . .
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Geez, that seems expensive. I continued to look around and saw used Fire- & Mapleglos for $600-700 less; no other Jetglos, though — they / Jetglos must be in high demand.

You can’t go on a Sweetwater web page without someone wanting to chat with you. They might already have one of these on order…. I’d ask.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Tommy wrote:
Yes, but us musicians (even us bedroom players) are supposed to only buy from ma and pop stores. Pay more, sometimes worse service...but we are doing our part to keep the ma and pop stores going. Why we have to do that part I do not know.

My local ma and pop music store is a nice place. Anything small I need (strings, capo, picks, straps...) I go there. But guitars? They are so overpriced at my local ma and pop store. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars more. Am I supposed to be buying a guitar or giving to a charity?
Have you tried negotiating a better price at your local store? If you're serious about a particular guitar, talk to them and tell them what you can buy it for elsewhere. Maybe they'll match or beat that price. Don't automatically assume they can't.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”