Leo Quan Bad A** II Bridge Install

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JackTheRipper

Leo Quan Bad A** II Bridge Install

Post by JackTheRipper »

I have a Leo Quan Bad A** II bridge that I'm thinking of installing on my 2011 4003. I don't have any issues with the stock tailpiece / bridge, I just think it might be cool to try something else. And I'm a big Geddy fan and I know that he used a BA II bridge. Anyone have any install tips or tricks? I did a search here and on other sites but didn't really find what I was looking for.

From what I've read, the Bad A** bridge will fit without any need to route the body. Just drill new holes for it and install a surround to cover up the mute route. Does that seem about right or is there more to it?

Pickguardian has a bridge surround that should work. It might need a bit of rework, but that shouldn't be much a problem. I don't know of anyone else that makes a surround that would work, so please let me know if there's someone else.

TIA,

--jack
WillyWonka

Re: Leo Quan Bad A** II Bridge Install

Post by WillyWonka »

I would make sure the new bridge will allow the saddles to adjust low enough, especially when adding the height of a bridge plate.

I'm don't know what they charge for the bridge surround, but it would be easy enough to make one from some plastic source, a polystyrene sheet would be easy to cut with scissors and is available in different thicknesses.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I recently bought a '78 that a previous owner put a BA on. Larry Davis refin'd it and I had him leave the BA on it. I'm really enjoying it! Cool sound. I see why Geddy liked it.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

jdogric12 wrote:I recently bought a '78 that a previous owner put a BA on. Larry Davis refin'd it and I had him leave the BA on it. I'm really enjoying it! Cool sound. I see why Geddy liked it.
Could you post some detailed pics of the bridge and surround? I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA,

--jack
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I've seen a huge variety of these over the years it was huge in the late 70's to 80's around here.
Here's one that has way too much guard on it.
surround3.jpg
This one's supposed to be Geddy's.
surround2.jpg
And this one has too little.
surround1.jpg
And ouch on the binding peel.

I found this of my old '79 4001, traded it for the '69.
79RicSurround.jpg
My advice is cover as little as possible.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

Dirk wrote:I've seen a huge variety of these over the years it was huge in the late 70's to 80's around here.
Here's one that has way too much guard on it.
surround3.jpg
This one's supposed to be Geddy's.

And this one has too little. And ouch on the binding peel.

I found this of my old '79 4001, traded it for the '69.

My advice is cover as little as possible.
Thanks for these pics. Can you verify that the bridge sits directly on the body? I mean, the bridge doesn't sit on top of the surround, right? That wouldn't be good IMO.

I plan to have the surround be the same color as the bass (black or white, depending on the bass.) I went ahead and ordered a black and white surround piece from Pickguardian and I'll modify it as needed.

Again, thanks!

--jack
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Yeah man, flat as a pancake on the top. The surround covers the route is all.
If you did it on top of the surround, it's not a surround (haha), and you lose all the mechanical connection of the bridge to neck/wood.

No need to cover the back edge to me. I think the White works on MG, but same color as guard makes most sense.

I always liked the performance and adjustability, and always felt like more sustain tone.

Oh and the last great thing, you can always go back.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Ged used a BA 1 and not a 2 on his main 4001's. That's what I installed on mine and it's great. They're just hard to find. The only one of his Rick's that had a BA 2 was the white 4080.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

Credits from Bruford's "Feels Good to Me" (1977), back of the album cover:

"Apparently Jeff Berlin Uses Leo Quan `BAD ***' Musical Products."

with the A-word uncensored by forum software. No other manufacturers or endorsements are mentioned. This was my first exposure to the name Leo Quan, and to Jeff Berlin for that matter. Had no idea at the time what musical products were being referred to.

Adios a la Pasada,
bluewhale
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Great album too Steve! I've had it on album, cassette and now CD.
Jeff is an amazing player/writer, certainly a great non-ric influence on me for sure.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Curious, did BA2's always have the II on them? In other words, if mine just says BA, is it definitely a I?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:Curious, did BA2's always have the II on them? In other words, if mine just says BA, is it definitely a I?
The two BA bridges are completely different from one another. Taller vs. lower, 3-hole vs. 5-hole, etc.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

jdogric12 wrote:Curious, did BA2's always have the II on them? In other words, if mine just says BA, is it definitely a I?
Judging from the pics, I would say yours is a BA 1.

--jack
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

No numbers back then.
badass.jpg
There's even a III version of the tall now.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

I decided against installing the BA II.

I removed the stock bridge to get a look at the route and the work that I thought would be needed to install the BA II. It seems like the route would need to be filled, or partially filled, to get the BA II to have full contact with the body. Either that or install it further back. I don't want to do either of those things.

--jack
20211126_131519_Resized.jpg
20211126_131555_Resized.jpg
20211126_131621_Resized.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”