Toaster in 4003 bridge position

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Toaster in 4003 bridge position

Post by lumgimfong »

Outrageously bright with a 1MG volume pot. I am liking it.
Way, way brighter than my neck HiGain, which I like.

Usually, with HiGains or HB1's, I have to have the treble and mids pegged at 10 on my amp to get as bright as I would like. Even with the 1MG volume pot. (changing tone pots and caps never brightened things up. Just the volume pot did dramatically.).
But with this setup I can back off the highs to 75% on the amp and still be plenty bright. More tonal range to work with. Still huge bass and mids, which makes sense since the higher in value you go nothing gets taken away, just highs added.

Oddly, not much comb filtering is heard in the middle toggle position with the HiGain in neck and Toaster in bridge.
Maybe because the HiGain and Toaster pickup EQ profiles are so different.
Now I am thinking about replacing the neck HiGain with a neck Toaster to pair it up, even though they are so expensive.
Korladis

Re: Toaster in 4003 bridge position

Post by Korladis »

Really interesting. Any chance you could make some recordings?

It's funny how this is the opposite of the setup my Rickenbackers both have.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Yes. I will try to post a demo tomorrow.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Here is a sound sample.
Amp EQ is mids and highs full up but Bass at 5. I left the highs full up so you can hear hear how bright it can get. It is brittle bright.
Played with fingers. Rotosound SM66 40-100.
Tonestyler set at true bypass. 1MG volume pot.
First, you will hear the HiGain neck pup, then the toggle switching to the Toaster in bridge, then the middle position last. Comb filtering not bad compared to when I had other pups in it.
Sorry if anything starts auto playing afterwards. I have a free account and stuff I never heard of just starts playing sometimes. No affiliation to any of the other stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/user-222948482/4 ... f00bdba5bf
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

That is very bright, indeed. Maybe brighter than I would go for.

Then again, it sounds like you recorded completely clean, which I also never play lol.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Yes. Clean.
I like bright and clear.
The Rotos in the recording are fantastic strings, though a little harsh on the top end with the Toaster and 1MEG volume pot.
I am now using DR Fatbeams and they sound less harsh on the top end than the Rotos , even though they are a little brighter and crispier than the Rotos. Better Piano/harpsichord tone.
Either way the highs can be dialed back with the tone knob if one wishes. So far I am enjoying the clarity though.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

I pretty much always have my tone knobs all the way up. The only reason I don't bypass it entirely is the push/pull functionality. I guess I could probably bypass the neck tone knob though.

I always play into an amp that's at least a bit overdriven, and my cabs don't really reproduce any frequencies above 5K.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”