360 pickup height adjustment

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

feet57

360 pickup height adjustment

Post by feet57 »

Hi, I dont seem to be able to adjust pickup height on my 360 fireglow 1998 model
Each pickup has 6 screws - 4 plate retaining screws and two center adjusted screws.
Backing out the center adjuster screws just results in the screw turning out and the heads rising away from the plate.
I tried putting pressure on the pickup center (black part) nothing happens - no movement!
1 .What is the trick to getting the pickups to move up or down?

2. Also for the pole pieces, are these adjustable? they are mushroom head shape with no aparent adjustment.

3. If I play a string hard at some fret positions I get an audible click sound through the amp, like a switch sound, no buzz, no pitch change , no contact with pole pieces. is this a fretting issue - high frets - too low action?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: 360 pickup height adjustment

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome to the Forum!

Here are my takes on your three questions.

1. Assuming that the pickups have the rectangular foam ring between them and the body, the foam (a) may be unable to "bounce back" from having been compressed since the guitar was manufactured, or (b) may simply take some time to spring back. You might need to replace the foam rings to allow more height control if they don't spring back.

2. The earlier mushroom-topped pole pieces are not height-adjustable.

3. It sound like the action may be set a bit low. The typical starting point for action height is 4/64" treble side and 6/64 bass side, both measured at the twelfth fret. These values can be used as starting points and the action increased or decreased to suit one's own personal preference. I usually have the action on my guitars set a bit lower than that, but not low enough to cause any issues.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
feet57

Post by feet57 »

thanks, yes black foam between pickup plate and guitar. I see now all three screws need backed off before I see movement against the foam. But I do see some movement.

will take a closer look at the action. thanks for your help.
:D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

feet57 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:17 amI see now all three screws need backed off before I see movement against the foam. But I do see some movement.
The corner screws do not need backing off, nor should they be loosened or removed as they are what holds the pickup together. Most likely, they just got stuck in the foam and appear that they need to be loosened.
feet57

Post by feet57 »

okay will not loosen them again.
I backed off the truss rods a tiny bit - mostly the treble side as it had very little relief on the first and second string (sighted with a straight edge).
Raised the bridge a little on treble side, It helped but still had that that click when played really hard. seemed it was like deigital clipping on the pre amp. String 1 and 2 seemed to have have more output through the pickup on my signal level. I did lower the pickeup on that side to componsate. Also I pulled out the jack socket and checked the connectors. The spring contact on the normal jack was a bit weak , disconnecting if the jack plug was wiggled so gave it a bit more bend to ensure good contact action.
Much better sound now. Clipping / clicking seems to have gone away.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Good thread. It’s always nice when the discussion goes full-circle.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”