Thoughts on the single truss rod?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: Thoughts on the single truss rod?

Post by cassius987 »

Highway Star wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:26 amJust wondering what you all think about it, compared to the dual truss rod system.
My 4003AC has it. Here's my experience:

1. Rod adjustment is easy and a little goes a long way.
2. The classic D string C3 (10th fret) dead spot is nowhere to be found - nor any other
3. Tone is clear and sustains for a long time
4. Setup conforms perfectly to the specs recommended by my luthier (basically the same as what Fender publishes for their basses)
5. Plays like a dream

So I'm really happy with the single rod. I sent Ben Hall a message to this effect not long after receiving it - I feel it's quite an improvement over the double rod scenario. Also, there's no massive rout by the neck anymore. A 4002 is theoretically viable again...
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

cassius987 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:58 pm
Highway Star wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:26 amJust wondering what you all think about it, compared to the dual truss rod system.
My 4003AC has it. Here's my experience:

1. Rod adjustment is easy and a little goes a long way.
2. The classic D string C3 (10th fret) dead spot is nowhere to be found - nor any other
3. Tone is clear and sustains for a long time
4. Setup conforms perfectly to the specs recommended by my luthier (basically the same as what Fender publishes for their basses)
5. Plays like a dream

So I'm really happy with the single rod. I sent Ben Hall a message to this effect not long after receiving it - I feel it's quite an improvement over the double rod scenario. Also, there's no massive rout by the neck anymore. A 4002 is theoretically viable again...
Been a minute, good to hear from you.

We've even tweaked it somewhat since 2020 so the neck route is shallower and the nut at the headstock end isn't as exposed.

And I can say that as of March 2022 it is officially standard on the 4003 and 4003S.

4002? yeah maybe we dabbled a bit in 2020. Might have something even more interesting to a lot of folks coming out later this year if we're talking 4000 series things :wink:
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

RIC_FACTORY wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:00 pm
4002? yeah maybe we dabbled a bit in 2020. Might have something even more interesting to a lot of folks coming out later this year if we're talking 4000 series things :wink:
Where's the like button when you need it?
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
ram

Post by ram »

Ben, that is just sheer titillation!!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Ben, you're such a tease!
Highway Star

Post by Highway Star »

OP here. Thanks to all who responded. I was a bit surprised to see how many views and replies there were, as I haven't been on here much lately.

To update on my new, and first Ric, I did have to do some tweaking to my dual truss rod system, and all turned out well, as of today. So my bass was shipped from Colorado to where I live in West Virginia - 2 completely different climates. What started out as a great setup went downhill fast after about the first week. I'd say my RH is likely much higher than Colorado's at this time of year, which probably caused some swelling of the wood / fingerboard. The fret buzz got really bad to the point where if I played an F on the first fret of the E string, the string would go completely dead immediately.

I'm not a big on working on my own instruments, but my luthier is usually real busy and I didn't feel like waiting, and since what I needed was mostly turning wrenches, I decided to go for it. If it was something that required fret leveling or filing nut slots, I wouldn't have done it.

So when I put the capo on the first fret, pressing down where the neck meets the body, and checking halfway, there was no real neck relief to speak of, and measuring the action at the 12 fret was very low. I had backed the dual truss rod nuts about an eighth to a quarter turn a week or so ago to help with the fret buzz, an then today a little more after switching to Rotosound strings. It put just a slight amount of relief into the neck - about half the thickness of a business card. Then I raised the saddles just slightly, tweaking the screws about a quarter turn, which put the action at the 12th fret between two and three 32nds, going back and forth a little to get them to the point of just starting to buzz a little on the E string when I play it pretty hard.

I'm very happy with how it turned out. The adjustments went well, and I'm happy to have saved some time and $$ by not taking it for a setup. Kinda surprised myself. I'm very happy with the bass, and I'm actually glad that I got the 2021 model. I like that it coincides with the 90th anniversary of the company. I'm a little surprised that RIC didn't play up the anniversary date a bit with some kind of designation, a badge on the truss cover or something like that - or at least a STICKER! :P :lol: Seems like Fender and G&L would have been all over that chance. 90 years is a pretty good milestone in my book.

All in all, I love the bass. I don't have a big preference either way for the skunk stripe or the dual / single rod setup, as long as they function properly. What I DO like a lot is the push pull vintage/modern setup with the treble cap, and the new bridge. Excellent engineering choices by RIC, in my opinion.

My next move is to experiment with the Ric-O-Sound. I just got the Rattlesnake connector box, which I think is going to be much better than a Y cable. I just have to dig out the old beast of a bass amp in the basement and pair it up with my practice amp and see what I come up with. Much fun to be had. Cheers. :D

JT
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Glad you've sorted it out.

My bet is you will be hooked with Ric-O-Sound.
It's very addictive to have the tonal control.
morrow

Post by morrow »

A 350 with a short scale bass neck ?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”