Not enough relief

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dirk

Re: Not enough relief

Post by Dirk »

Well congrats on getting it to where he wanted it.
It's always a delicate balance.

I find most basses need adjustments 2 times a year, just past spring, just past fall.
It's all about temperature/humidity and the moving woods.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

pag wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:44 pm Is the buzz that noticeable through an amp onstage or is it only present when listening unplugged? If the action is good and you only want to increase the relief because of the buzz then get the frets dressed.
I didn't plug it into an amp at my house. To me, the fret buzz wasn't too bad. I would have just played it as it was. He wanted less buzz. It's sorted out now and he's happy.

--jack
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

Dirk wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:51 am Well congrats on getting it to where he wanted it.
It's always a delicate balance.

I find most basses need adjustments 2 times a year, just past spring, just past fall.
It's all about temperature/humidity and the moving woods.
I live near San Diego and I rarely have to make a truss adjustment to my basses. Once I get it set where I like it, it's very stable. We don't get real wild weather swings here.

--jack
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Yeah location and seasonal variation can be challenging. That would be nice to not have to deal with.

I'll never forget doing a weeks worth of gigs in Daytona, FL. in the middle of winter, with my basses being used to way up north and dry.
Needless to say I was glad I had tools with me. By the end of the week they settled back in, until I brought them home and had to redo all the previous adjustments. :lol:
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I try to avoid leaving my bass out in the weather.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

So, to be clear, the fix was leaving it tuned 1/2 step up and that pulled the neck into more relief which then stayed with relief even after going back to standard tuning?
How long was it left in 1/2 step up tuning? Thanks!

I have another brand bass that has fret rattle and the usual things are not causing it. I want to try this.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

lumgimfong wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:21 am So, to be clear, the fix was leaving it tuned 1/2 step up and that pulled the neck into more relief which then stayed with relief even after going back to standard tuning?
How long was it left in 1/2 step up tuning? Thanks!

I have another brand bass that has fret rattle and the usual things are not causing it. I want to try this.
Yes. It was left at 1/2 step up tuning for about a week. That seemed to create enough relief. I guess it's still ok, since I haven't heard anything.

--jack
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thanks!!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”