4003 new features for 2022

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jleich721

4003 new features for 2022

Post by jleich721 »

Hi there,
Last week I took delivery of my brand new 4003 in Mapleglo. I originally bought it because I heard that for 2022 there would be the skunk stripe and a new truss Rod. When I opened the case for the first time there wasn’t a skunk stripe. And when I began to set up the bass it still had the dual truss rods.

The bass is stamped the 4th week of 2022. Is Ric going to roll out the new features later this year or was mine just them using up the leftover parts?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 4003 new features for 2022

Post by jdogric12 »

RIC usually phases things in to fit with their production schedule and use up all components that have already been made.
Highway Star

Post by Highway Star »

I recently ordered one that is due to arrive possibly tomorrow. I was told by the store representative that it is a 2021, with a single truss rod, and is minus the skunk stripe.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hi all,

If what the OP is saying is true, it makes me wonder why Rickenbacker decided to re-introduce the skunk stripe the moment they introduced the single truss rod - of all times.

From a construction standpoint, this is certainly not the best combination, and I would personally avoid it when building a bass neck. Here's why:

Both skunk stipe AND truss rod run along the center of the neck. Any force applied by the rod hits the skunk stripe first, and then gets transferred to the outer (maple) laminates. This puts extra stress on the glue joints, and may lead to de-lamination in the long term - especially when the instrument accidentally gets exposed to any source of heat (sunlight etc.). One can only hope that the fretboard can handle the extra duty of holding it all together.

The earlier skunk-stripe 4001 models had their rods running both sides of the center, primarily in the maple sections. Plus there were TWO of them, which at least theoretically meant that each would have to apply only HALF the force. No risk of de-lamination here.

Granted, this a worst case scenario. But as I stated above, I wouldn't take chances here and do whatever possible to avoid the odds of that ever happening if I were in charge at RIC.

Let's wait and see... ;-)

Cheers,
Karsten
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

FYI on single rods the truss rod is actually pushing against the fingerboard to push the neck back and fight tensions.
The "skunk stripe" on Ric is a solid piece of wood from front to back the whole neck and body. So I would also assume the new rods are just routed into the skunk stripe material.

Very unlike the classic Fender style skunk stripe which is just an inlay on the back of the neck, which also unless you need a huge amount of back bow the rod, it won't be pushing on it at all.

Bottom line the truss rod puts the most stress on the fingerboard.

Also modern glues will be stronger than the wood itself.

Personally I would not worry about it being any less capable.
Plenty of instruments use single rods, including 6 and 8 string basses.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Dirk wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:53 am FYI on single rods the truss rod is actually pushing against the fingerboard to push the neck back and fight tensions.
Hi Dirk,
thanks for your contribution!

You're absolutely right by indicating that the skunk stripe in reference to Ricks is more or less a misnomer, as it's rather another neck laminate opposed to a simple routing plug (Fender). And this is exactly why it could be a problem IMHO - and I'm not saying that it is GUARANTEED to be a problem.
To me it's just another potential trouble source which I would have avoided at all costs, given that Rick necks are not necessarily the most stable ones to begin with.

Firstly, the direction in which the double-action rod is pushing at the middle of the neck is determined by the problem you're facing.
When you're tightening the rod because there's too much relief, it's forward against the fingerboard. In case of a backbow (although the rod is already loosened) it's got to be adjusted counter-clockwise so it's actually pushing backwards.
Although the vast majority is the first case, the second option is not too far fetched. Hence the new double action rod which can handle both situations - as opposed to the old ones.

Let's take a closer look at problem #1 (too much relief):
The truss rod can only push against the fingerboard when it's "anchored" at both ends of the neck. The force pressing in one direction has to be counteracted by the force(s) pushing the opposite direction. The anchor point at the heel may be safe, but at the nut - I dunno! ;-)

And now problem #2 (backbow):
Who's to guarantee that the exact same thing happening to Fender-like skunk stripes (getting pushed out by the rod, the corona virus or Vladimir Putin) is not to happen to a 4003 as well? I wouldn't, but I hope the RIC customer service will! ;-)
Let's hope they make sure to use a really good glue... and plenty of it.
I personally hope that I'll be proven wrong anyway...
(That's three times the word "hope" in three consecutive sentences. Don't think they'll add me to their marketing staff anytime soon... :lol: )

In the end it once again comes down to the simple question whether or not one is willing to sacrifice mechanical integrity (or safety) for the sake of cosmetics. I would have simply stuck to the well-proven 1- or 2- ply neck construction when using one lone truss rod. There's already more than enough that can go wrong with our beloved Ricks.

That's all... ;-)

Cheers,
Karsten
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Over many years I've never once seen a #2 too much back bow.
That to me would be a poorly constructed or damaged instrument.

You are correct forward bow puts the stress on the middle and against the fingerboard.
Back bow would put the forces on the ends of the rod.

FYI classic Ric rods are not even glued in place.

The stress on the rod itself is not longitudinal (along the length).
But the nut is there to set the spring up, if that makes any sense.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Congratulations on your new Rickenbacker!

Their redesigned bridge is a knock out, especially since they retained the mute.

I’m not clear about the truss rod in yours, but in my experience, moving to a single dual action truss rod seems like an improvement from the one used previously.

Swapping out the pickup cover for the bezel makes sense to me, because it allows flexibility for players even while Rickenbacker keeps the traditional look for the 4003 model.

That’s a fine looking bass!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Dirk wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:49 am Over many years I've never once seen a #2 too much back bow.
Well,

viewtopic.php?t=417425

;-)
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

All due to improper adjustment. :)
And a happy story in the end.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Dirk wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:55 am And a happy story in the end.
Yeah - that's the most important thing! :-)
matbard@me.com

Post by matbard@me.com »

The new Instagram reel of Rickenbacker official suggest many new 4003 come with checkered binding...
-

--> Matteo Barducci
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

matbard@me.com wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:03 am The new Instagram reel of Rickenbacker official suggest many new 4003 come with checkered binding...
Show us, please.

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
basmansam

Post by basmansam »

This is the only bass with checkerboard binding on instagram, one off.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYKTl-wvapX ... Y4h7Mv8A0/
matbard@me.com

Post by matbard@me.com »

-

--> Matteo Barducci

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”