Rotosound string problem

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Highway Star

Rotosound string problem

Post by Highway Star »

I just put my first set of Rotos on my new Ric 4003, and noticed that the windings are all cheesed up on the D string around the 2nd fret. Didn't notice until I had it on and started tuning it up.

I'm pretty sure my string supplier will replace it when I get hold of them next week, and luckily I have another to put on. I'm guessing that this is not a common issue, and could probably happen on any brand, but has anyone had this issue before? It looks like the winding is loose and bunched up for a few inches. Never really seen this on any string, for bass or guitar.

I didn't do anything different when installing. I always bend them at a sharp right angle before I cut them, which you pretty much have to do anyway to feed them down the center hole.

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Rotosound string problem

Post by squirebass »

I've used Roto-sounds regularly for years, but I've never seen that issue.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

The winding must have been faulty but slipped past the system until you put it under tension.Just get a replacement set from the shop you bought the set from and send the faulty string to Rotosound or get in touch online with the details. They would be interested to track down any winding faults I would imagine. Ive always had good customer service from Rotosound over the years.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Wow that's the worst defective string I've ever seen.
Must have been made on a Friday afternoon, or QC was asleep on that one.
At least it's only 1 string.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

They let me return strings on Amazon if I get a bad set. No muss no fuss. I don’t buy strings from outside music vendors anymore and surely don’t even try talking to the manufacturers about bad strings. Ever got the third degree from Daddario before?
So just buy thru Amazon. No questions asked returns I have done so far. Easy.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Fret Nation is a good source for bass strings. They might not have the free 5-minute shipping of the giant websites, but you're supporting an independent business.
T28

Post by T28 »

I use Stringjoys out of Nashville. Great sound, long lasting and custom gauges to match Ric originals.
Highway Star

Post by Highway Star »

lumgimfong wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:46 pm They let me return strings on Amazon if I get a bad set. No muss no fuss. I don’t buy strings from outside music vendors anymore and surely don’t even try talking to the manufacturers about bad strings. Ever got the third degree from Daddario before?
So just buy thru Amazon. No questions asked returns I have done so far. Easy.
Thanks for the input, folks. I do prefer to do business with smaller companies as opposed to Amazon. I've been dealing with Stringsandbeyond for all of my strings & picks for years. They have free shipping, ship very quickly, have discount sales very often, and are always great to deal with. They are already in the process of shipping out a new replacement set.

In my recollection, this is the first time I've ever had a bad string, in 47 yrs of playing lead guitar and 15 yrs of playing bass. Literally thousands of sets of strings, thousands of gigs - and I play hard rock, use extra heavy picks, and pick hard. I can probably count on one hand the times that I've even broken a string, and that's even with using Floyd Rose locking trem systems, pulling them up as well as down. The couple of times that I did break a string was my own fault. All in all, the string industry has been very reliable for me - maybe because I replace them often. It seemed odd, and probably a fluke, that my first set of Rotosounds yielded one that was boogered up. I'm not going to read much into it.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'm not locked into the Rotos at this point. I may try some others as time goes on.

And no, I've never gotten the 3rd degree from D'Addario before, haha. I do use their strings for my 6 string electrics, but never had an issue.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jdogric12 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am Fret Nation is a good source for bass strings. They might not have the free 5-minute shipping of the giant websites, but you're supporting an independent business.
Free 5 minute shipping?!? Gimme that!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Oh, you'd pay for it, just not directly. In the big picture there is no such thing as free shipping. Or free anything.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:37 am Oh, you'd pay for it, just not directly. In the big picture there is no such thing as free shipping. Or free anything.
Don't disillusion us! :mrgreen:
teeder

Post by teeder »

jdogric12 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:37 am Oh, you'd pay for it, just not directly. In the big picture there is no such thing as free shipping. Or free anything.
Surely, you jest!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I suppose there is Free Willy.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

He isn't jesting. And don't call him Surely. Uhh . . . . :roll:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”