Newbie help with 325

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ledheadforlife

Newbie help with 325

Post by ledheadforlife »

Hello all, I'm brand new here, never been much of a Rick guy, always played Fender and Gibson, but I have a huge favor to ask all of you. My best friend's dad is dying and he wants her to sell his 325 to help pay for the funeral expenses. She asked me if I would try to sell it for her cause she doesn't know anything about guitars. Her dad told her the guitar is worth around 8k but I find that difficult to believe. All I know about it is it's a 1986 jetglo 325, I looked up a few on reverb and some of them seem to be John Lennon versions with his likeness and signature on the pickguard, this one does not have that. There are no serial numbers anywhere on the guitar except for on the input jack, and it says made in america on the headstock, and it's a 6 string. Any idea what it's worth. Thanks in advance for your help.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Newbie help with 325

Post by jdogric12 »

Pictures are needed of course. It is either a regular 325 (identified by hi-gain pickups which have 6 buttons on top each), or a reissue 325, which would have "toaster" pickups with two lines across the top of each pickup.

Asking prices in the market are insane, always have been. Sorry, but 8k is nowhere close. The regular 325, mint condition would probably be about $2K. A reissue 325 would be closer to 3k. Depends on what color too, since some are more common than others. And if it has the original case. Or any modifications.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Just checked ebay sold items... looks like even new reissues are between 2500-3k. A non-reissue was listed 11 days ago on Reverb and has been lowered to 2300.
ledheadforlife

Post by ledheadforlife »

Thanks sooo much for the reply and info, I'm gonna try to get some pics up. Is it possible that it's a reissue if it's a 1986?
ledheadforlife

Post by ledheadforlife »

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Well, that's actually a 350V63. This isn't terrible news, but it's not the more desirable John Lennon type of model. It's a full scale version of that, with similar reissue components like pickups, knobs, and tuners. (John Lennon's 325 is famously short scale, as are reissue 325's.) I notice your guitar is in the RRF register as a 325, incorrectly. There are two 350v63's in the register with very close serial numbers so it all adds up.

The good news is, it's almost worth as much as a 325... Reverb has a category for this (350 V63 1985 - 2011) and their price guide shows recent sales over 2K.
ledheadforlife

Post by ledheadforlife »

Thanks soooo much for the info, I knew as soon as I started seeing all the different versions on Reverb like "c series Miami" that I was in over my head and was gonna need expert help. I really appreciate it man, thanks again.
ledheadforlife

Post by ledheadforlife »

Ok, not that I doubt your word, but I did an image search for the 350V63, and none of em have a tailpiece like this, they all have a cutout in the middle. This top picture is my friend's guitar, the second picture is what they all look like on google image search. Are you certain my friends guitar is a 350V63? Or maybe it's got one of those ashtray deals like a telecaster?

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Either there was an Accent option or it was added to the guitar after-the-fact, perhaps?
ledheadforlife

Post by ledheadforlife »

I have no idea, like I said, I don't know **** about Rickenbackers. You said the serial number of my friend's guitar comes back as a 325 right? But that you believe that's a mistake? Any chance this guitar is just a full scale 325? What differentiates a 325 from a 350? It doesn't matter to me which model it is since they're worth about the same amount of money, I just wanna be certain about which model it is before I list it for sale so I don't look like an idiot and people don't think I'm trying to scam or trick them etc.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Yes, the 350v63 is a long-scale version of the 325 series: http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=350V63

It seems, like JPS suggested, that the Accent vibrato was installed after purchase. Whether the Accent was installed then, or maybe even at the factory (I don’t see a purchase option in that RIC description), you can list the guitar as a “350v63 which has been upgraded with an Accent vibrato.” Of course, some potential buyers may not consider that an upgrade, but the original type of tailpiece is available and less expensive than an Accent vibrato; overall, not much of a concern/deal-breaker, I’d think.

Is this a one-owner guitar, or was it purchased used (previously modified)?

Maybe there’s some tag or receipt inside the guitar’s case… maybe a tailpiece?

Good luck. You’re a good friend for doing this.
ledheadforlife

Post by ledheadforlife »

No tailpiece, paperwork, or provenance in the case, just a guitar strap that looks exactly like this

Hard to say if he was the original owner, but he's in his 70's and has been in bands his entire life so he likely bought it new,

Ok, so we're all certain it's a 350v63 then right?? That's what I needed to know. Thanks everybody who chimed in and helped, ya'll are awesome.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There is a difference between Ricks that leave the factory with an Accent vs without an Accent. The placement of the bottom strap button. It is closer to the back of the guitar for an Accent. Many people (I've done it) have added Accents to Ricks, and it doesn't sit in quite the right spot as a result. Photos from more angles of that area can help us determine if it had the Accent from the factory (which would be rare).
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

jdogric12 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:31 pm There is a difference between Ricks that leave the factory with an Accent vs without an Accent. The placement of the bottom strap button. It is closer to the back of the guitar for an Accent. Many people (I've done it) have added Accents to Ricks, and it doesn't sit in quite the right spot as a result. Photos from more angles of that area can help us determine if it had the Accent from the factory (which would be rare).
I knew there is a location difference for the respective strap button locations (looking at Winfield adaptors), but I never really compared them. So I just dug out my fully dressed 330/12 and naked 1996, and took a couple of photos:
"R" tailpiece strap button is centered
"R" tailpiece strap button is centered
Accent strap button (hole) close to bottom
Accent strap button (hole) close to bottom
The difference in vertical location is readily apparent.

PS - I don't have a Rick with a trapeze tailpiece to compare, but I assume that its strap button is located in the same (?) midway location as for the "R" tailpiece. Further assume, then, that the location of the strap button is uniquely positioned (lower) for the Accent vibrato. Agree?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”