G&L Kiloton

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

G&L Kiloton

Post by rickenbrother »

I just made my first no-Rickenbacker purchase in many years. This G&L Kiloton arrived a few days ago. I was offered a great deal on Reverb and went for it. That's the Irish Ale finish on an Ash body. Other than weighing almost the same as my StingRay5,(which also has a substantial ash body and having to get used to the J-Bass style neck, I'm diggin' it. I need to speed up the aging process of the maple neck. It's too pale, like butcher block.
Being totally passive, it sounds better than a StingRay to my ears. The tone is an authoritative, focused growl. The other downside to getting this Kiloton, is it's giving me GAS for an American L-2000 or L-2500.

Kilo_1.jpg
Kilo_2.jpg
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: G&L Kiloton

Post by blueflamerick »

Looks really nice Joey!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

blueflamerick wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:29 pm Looks really nice Joey!
+1 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Sweet lookin' bass! How would you describe the sound?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cjj wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:54 am Sweet lookin' bass! How would you describe the sound?
Very tight, focused, and growly. It's very bright. Sort of like a StingRay, without being electronically glassy. I like that it's completely passive. The tone is excellent. The mids really make it cut through the mix of a band. It's great for modern jazz, progressive rock, metal, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Steely Dan (with the treble backed off to about 60%), and that sort of stuff. Not really good for old school rock, blues and R&B.

It's the imported Tribute model, not the Fullerton, USA version. It's very well made, with a couple of exceptions. The frets above the 11th fret were not filed properly on both ends and the top of them sticks out past the edge of the fretboard a tiny bit. Not enough to be terrible to play, but shows that their Q.C. is not the best. They are supposed to be inspected in Fullerton before being released for sale. I pass by G&L all the time. I should stick my head in there and say hey, what's with that? The other thing is the bottom, funky shaped surface of the headstock that most people don't like is a bit rough. I'll have to get busy with a fret file and sandpaper on a small block one of these days. I'll have to remove the neck to work on the upper frets.

The massive ash body is a bit heavy, but I expected that since my StingRay 5 is the same way. with it's massive ash body. They've recently changed to making the Tribute version with a solid color on a poplar body, which should be lighter.

Now I have to get used to the J-Bass type neck. Never like them before, but the feel in my hands is changing. Maybe it's finally time to get used to it.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
espidog

Post by espidog »

Have always been a fan of G+L basses: lovely quality instruments (including the Tribbies, on the whole!) - and that one's a beauty, especially the woodgrain. Tasty! :wink:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

Looks like the pickup is in the approximate location as the bridge pickup on a 4003

Return to “The Low End”