Tailpiece V2 Questions

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Tailpiece V2 Questions

Post by Bighouse »

I’ve read some confusing posts from users who have had some experience with the V2 tailpiece/bridge. I’m considering replacing my original with one but there is a lack of any real data out there comparing the original to the new. If Rickenbacker or someone would document the comparison of the models, it would go a long way towards others understanding the differences- and whether it’s a good option for some. The biggest issue I’ve seen, and never really addressed in any meaningful way, is the string height adjustability. Some reviewers have stated that the strings will not go as low as they could with the older saddles. So, it would be great if someone could actually measure the two devices in both the lowest and highest settings, and accurately determine the various heights from the bottom of the saddle inverts, where the strings make contact with their saddle, and the underside of the tailpiece. That should be an easy measurement to obtain for the V2 bridge. However, given the “V” notch on the original, that invert location will vary slightly with different gauge wires.

It would also be nice to know the transverse as well as longitudinal adjustability range of the saddle elements as well- on the original and V2.

Anecdotal information is interesting, but nothing compares to engineering data at times.

As an aside, I do wonder what the acoustic or behavior difference might be by changing the wire contact points from two, as in the case of the older “v” notched saddles, to the single point of contact on the new roller saddles.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Tailpiece V2 Questions

Post by jdogric12 »

Honestly, you sound like the best person for this job. Go for it and let us know what you find.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

I’m up for the challenge. Was just hoping to know this information before deciding to purchase the V2!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Bighouse wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:56 am I’ve read some confusing posts from users who have had some experience with the V2 tailpiece/bridge. I’m considering replacing my original with one but there is a lack of any real data out there comparing the original to the new. If Rickenbacker or someone would document the comparison of the models, it would go a long way towards others understanding the differences- and whether it’s a good option for some. The biggest issue I’ve seen, and never really addressed in any meaningful way, is the string height adjustability. Some reviewers have stated that the strings will not go as low as they could with the older saddles. So, it would be great if someone could actually measure the two devices in both the lowest and highest settings, and accurately determine the various heights from the bottom of the saddle inverts, where the strings make contact with their saddle, and the underside of the tailpiece. That should be an easy measurement to obtain for the V2 bridge. However, given the “V” notch on the original, that invert location will vary slightly with different gauge wires.

It would also be nice to know the transverse as well as longitudinal adjustability range of the saddle elements as well- on the original and V2.

Anecdotal information is interesting, but nothing compares to engineering data at times.

As an aside, I do wonder what the acoustic or behavior difference might be by changing the wire contact points from two, as in the case of the older “v” notched saddles, to the single point of contact on the new roller saddles.
jdogric12 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:11 am Honestly, you sound like the best person for this job. Go for it and let us know what you find.
Bighouse wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:19 am I’m up for the challenge. Was just hoping to know this information before deciding to purchase the V2!
Given how much this is a case-by-case kind of thing, señor jdog is right. Let us know how your experiments go and how it works out best for you and your bass.

8)
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

I'll be placing my V2 order on Friday. Not sure how long it takes to ship, but I'll have my calipers in hand when it arrives and will post my findings once I measure the original as well.
ram

Post by ram »

Took me a couple of hours (I work slow). Do me a favor and take a couple of shots of the bottom of the piece(s). I neglected to do this.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

ram wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:09 pm Took me a couple of hours (I work slow). Do me a favor and take a couple of shots of the bottom of the piece(s). I neglected to do this.
Sure, will do.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

Ordered from Chicago Music Exchange today. Looking forward to getting it soon!
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

You earned my vote for correctly spelling Longitudinal adjustability! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd like to know more about this piece of hardware!
As well as its conceptual continuity...
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

squirebass wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:17 pm You earned my vote for correctly spelling Longitudinal adjustability! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd like to know more about this piece of hardware!
As well as its conceptual continuity...
Well, so far I'm not impressed with the build quality...
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b0eP1h ... KAkPAtxI2w
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

Here are the measurements of the lowest setting on the 4003V2 saddles, from the lowest portion of the roller saddle to the underside of the tailpiece that would come into contact with the bass body.

E: 11.80mm - 0.465"
A: 11.70mm - 0.461"
D: 12.45mm - 0.490"
G: 12.13mm - 0.478"

So, I think it's pretty safe to just say 12mm.

Once I have the old tailpiece off the bass, I'll measure the lowest point on the saddle for each string for general comparison. As the saddle seat is a "V" groove, it won't represent the actual bottom of string, but it'll be close and still an interesting comparison.

(I'm not taking the tailpiece off until my fret leveling and dressing tools arrive from the UK.)
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

Well, I have the new tailpiece installed. I will be removing it next week to make an adjustment to the bass body. It seems the new tailpiece isn’t quite the same footprint size of the old one on my 4001. Though I followed the directions and properly used the template for the new screw holes, there’s a slightly narrower width to the unit and it has now revealed a very small edge of the routing cavity below it on the G-string side of the unit. I guess someone was a bit aggressive when routing the area originally. So, I need to glue in some similarly colored wood into the cavity to fill this small gap- unless someone has a better idea? Maybe I could carefully remove some material from inside the cavity to repurpose as a gap filler? Kind of like a skin graft???

I love the ability to so easily adjust the intonation and string height/location.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I can measure my Hipshot Ric replacement bridge for you when I get the bass back from my luthier tonight (he was fret levelling the bass).
I like that bridge better than the V1. It doesn't have the mute, but I find the V1 mute useless in real world settings anyway.
Chrome job is smooth and uniform. I can see it thinning a little behind the saddles. But otherwise creamy smooth.
Highly recommended. String height, intonation, and spacing a breeze.
And you can get it in chromed brass for the weight if you want to offset neck heaviness.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

I looked long and hard at the hipshot replacement and almost went for it. I liked the fact that it didn't require me to alter my 4001 in any way. I don't use the mute so that wasn't an issue. However, from an aesthetic standpoint, the 4003V2 unit looked a lot more like the original whereas the hipshot unit had a much more modern/faceted look that didn't fit well with the bass, imho. Plus, I felt I was being closer to "original" by having at least a Rickenbacker replacement component on the instrument.

So, I'm happy enough with the unit- but I'm confident that it isn't such a perfect solution and I'm also pretty sure it doesn't go lower than the original, in spite of what others have said, because in looking at them both, the original saddle is actually recessed into the bass's body. The saddle area seat is actually depressed below the face of the body. The new one sits flush on the body. Because the saddle area is depressed, it's more difficult to measure that the minimum distance from string bottom to face of bass would be, but I'll see if I can't still get those distances.

You can see the gap as well as the location that was covered by the old unit in the photo below.
AB8CF90B-4808-4BDF-8193-FEF1F4FAE127.jpeg
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

It also occurs to me that when I mounted the tailpiece, I located the screws in the slotted holes such that the tailpiece couldn't pull forward- though there is not any significant tension on the saddle to want to pull the tailpiece forward- given the new string retainer. When I remove the tailpiece next week to work on other elements, I'll slide the tailpiece forward and adjust the intonation elements to compensate for it. That bit of movement, about 3/16" from what I remember seeing, might be enough to hide the gap and better cover the non-faded maple from the footprint of the original tailpiece.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”