Required mounting hole diameter Burns knobs

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

siranthonyac

Required mounting hole diameter Burns knobs

Post by siranthonyac »

Hello,

I searched for the mounting hole diameter but I couldn't find the answer.

I am looking at a set of Burns Knobs for my dad's 325. The seller is asking for the Required mounting hole diameter, is it 3/8" (9.52mm), 5/16" (7.94mm), or something else?

Or can you tell me the shaft height and diameter of the standard Rickenbacker potentiometers?

I know, if I had the guitar in my hands and a caliper this would be easier. :)

Thanks in advance!
Anthony
maxwell

Re: Required mounting hole diameter Burns knobs

Post by maxwell »

So, anyway, he's asking because there two (2) different styles of Burns control knobs: one is for CTS and other similar potentiometers with a 1/4-inch SOLID shaft, and the other style is for metric size SPLIT shafts, 6 mm diameter. These knobs fit on regular, short length shafts; actually, the potentiometers on your guitar have the proper shaft length.

Look at the first two listings on this ebay page, two different fitting Burns-type knobs from this same seller (truecustomshop):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... _sacat=619

Read and compare ALL the descriptive information provided for each respective knob. You're going to have to know what the potentiometer shaft type and size you have in order to select the proper knob. Remove an "old" knob and examine the pot shaft.

PS - I've seen examples of pots with 6 mm solid shafts, also. 1/4-inch style is the most common; you're going to have to measure yours. You might need a caliper after all, since both dimensions are awfully close in size:

0.250 inches = 6.35 mm, ----and---- 6.0 mm = 0.236 inches
Last edited by maxwell on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Well, the knobs are going on a Rick; 1/4-inch is a safe bet.
siranthonyac

Post by siranthonyac »

Thanks all!

The 1/4 inch seems most logical.

One last quick question... should I order the polished or non-polished? Which would be more accurate to what John Lennon had on his 1958 325 (pre-1964 Miami)

Thanks again!
Anthony
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

I never noticed that there were two different polish options.

PS / Big edit: OK, so I'm looking at my guitar now. The knobs are pretty shiny, but I have no idea / have never seen Both knob finishes. How dull is the non-shiny knob option?

My Bigsby is pretty shiny also, not quite as shiny as the knobs (my knobs must be shiny...?)

The bridge, by far, is the least shiny; probably dull.

I've never noticed or paid any attention to these details until now. With use, I think all aluminum items (all these items mentioned are made from aluminum mostly) will oxidize with age and use. I cannot imagine Lennon being concerned about maintaining the shine on his guitar parts....

These are just my personal observations. There are other guys here who know better. Hopefully there will be other input.
siranthonyac

Post by siranthonyac »

Thanks for the reply!

The guy who is making them for me asked about polishing, I guess it makes sense to have them not polished thereby providing the option to later polish them, as opposed to unpolishing them.

I'm going to get two sets, one for my project guitar too.

I play left handed and have a kit guitar with a full length neck, as I wasn't able to find a lefty version in my price range. I still need to replace the pickups, either with creamery-pickups or I might tear the existing pickups apart and replace the poles with Alnico 2. I already got a replacement harness that matches the rick specs and a real lefty Bigsby.

I hope they are made well.. we shall see.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”