Rick-a-holic

Re: My R Tailpiece Broke

Post by jdogric12 »

Good call Bob.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

What has always amazed me is how poorly made the R tailpieces are. I was a sculpture major in college, and we did some metal casting - bronze, aluminum, etc. We would have been laughed out of the lab if we had come up with a casting as sloppy on the back side as the typical R tailpiece. I don't know who does them for RIC, but they need to be fired and replaced with someone competent. Most of the problem is not the casting itself, it is in the original that they made the mold from or the mold they made the wax piece to invest and cast in. Then to go ahead and chrome plate something so crude on the back side is a joke. I switched one of my twelves from black trim to chrome trim at one point, and this is what they sent me for my $100. It immediately went back and the replacement is not a hell of a lot better.
Attachments
tailpiece 02copy.jpg
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

OMG, that's awful. How could they send something that ****** to you? I'm glad I got the Winfield tailpiece. I plan on replacing all the R tailpieces I have at some point.

It's just another issue with Rickenbacker that they should fix. My hope is that John Hall's son will make positive changes at some point soon.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I've had a few Rick 12's over the years, and none of the tailpieces ever failed. I know people with dozens of them that have never had one break. When one does fail, the owner often goes on public forums looking for a free one, then complains when they don't get one claiming they all break. Like anything else, the person complaining loudest gets heard the most.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”