1976 4001 without triangle fret markers. V63?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: 1976 4001 without triangle fret markers. V63?

Post by lumgimfong »

Here's another 4001 with binding and dots:

viewtopic.php?p=868224&hilit=4001+4001s#p868224
RatBlitz

Post by RatBlitz »

Bighouse wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:08 pm I'm still wondering what's up with the second photo- in particular the finish around the D-string tuner. It seems to indicate to me that a finish had been reapplied to the head and there was some kind of washer or larger tuner bezel in place, that was subsequently removed. That could have been done when the entire thing was refinished and would explain why there isn't any "lacquer displacement" as commented by Dave. It's a strange thing to see...it's gotta be some kind of key to understanding the modification or creation of this instrument?Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 9.01.10 AM.png
I found out what happened to the finish around the D-String tuner. Many many years ago my friend lost the nut while changing strings and put on a replacement that was a bit larger. A while later in found the original piece and put it back on. So that doesn't answer any of the mystery. My friend also remembered he bought the bass in 1984 from a guy with the last name of Skully.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

RatBlitz wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:57 am I found out what happened to the finish around the D-String tuner. Many many years ago my friend lost the nut while changing strings and put on a replacement that was a bit larger. A while later in found the original piece and put it back on. So that doesn't answer any of the mystery. My friend also remembered he bought the bass in 1984 from a guy with the last name of Skully.
And it appears to me that a clear coat of some sort was applied to the headstock and the larger tuner peg bezel (nut?) was left on during that process? So Dave’s comment regarding the finish around the fingerboard appearing as undamaged (i.e. factory original) can’t be correct.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
RatBlitz

Post by RatBlitz »

Bighouse wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:21 am
RatBlitz wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:57 am I found out what happened to the finish around the D-String tuner. Many many years ago my friend lost the nut while changing strings and put on a replacement that was a bit larger. A while later in found the original piece and put it back on. So that doesn't answer any of the mystery. My friend also remembered he bought the bass in 1984 from a guy with the last name of Skully.
And it appears to me that a clear coat of some sort was applied to the headstock and the larger tuner peg bezel (nut?) was left on during that process? So Dave’s comment regarding the finish around the fingerboard appearing as undamaged (i.e. factory original) can’t be correct.
I don't think this mark is from clear coat. My friend bought bass in 1984 and has made no modifications (until recently when he changed the bridge). But he did remember losing the larger peg bezel after buying it, putting on a replacement larger nut and then finding the original at some point later while vacuuming . I really don't think the mark is from clear coat but just from the larger nut rubbing on it. The timeline doesn't fit since the nut was lost and replaced some time after my friend purchased the bass.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

Ah, so it's from abrasion and I'm seeing the clean wood, not the original finish, where the larger nut sat around the peg.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”