Why don't Toasters have universal applicability?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

maxwell

Why don't Toasters have universal applicability?

Post by maxwell »

I recently visited the Boutique at RIC and looked at the toaster pickups (actually, pickup) for sale. No mention of resistance rating....

But this caught my eye: "... Fits Most Models w/o modification. Will not work on the 325C58 (all positions) or the 360/12C63 neck position." Why the limitations on these two models of guitar? I seem to glean that the wiring of the 360/12C63 is a well-guarded proprietary secret. As for the 325C58, it occurs to me that the wiring of this guitar must not be the same as the 325V59 (must be wildly different), which is not mentioned in that toaster cautionary statement by RIC. Schematics for both of these guitars seem to be unavailable.

I won't be dropping $5K on a 360/12C63 or trying to modify/replicate some close cousin, but I am interested in the toaster incompatibility of an unmodified 325C58. Your thoughts?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Why don't Toasters have universal applicability?

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:07 am I recently visited the Boutique at RIC and looked at the toaster pickups (actually, pickup) for sale. No mention of resistance rating....

But this caught my eye: "... Fits Most Models w/o modification. Will not work on the 325C58 (all positions) or the 360/12C63 neck position." Why the limitations on these two models of guitar? I seem to glean that the wiring of the 360/12C63 is a well-guarded proprietary secret. As for the 325C58, it occurs to me that the wiring of this guitar must not be the same as the 325V59 (must be wildly different), which is not mentioned in that toaster cautionary statement by RIC. Schematics for both of these guitars seem to be unavailable.

I won't be dropping $5K on a 360/12C63 or trying to modify/replicate some close cousin, but I am interested in the toaster incompatibility of an unmodified 325C58. Your thoughts?
Most toaster pickups have magnets that protrude significantly below the bottom of the base. Those specific models that they can't be used on require flat-bottom toasters like they were in the early to mid '60s; the pickup routes are shallower.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Thanks! You learn something new every day, well, month, for me....

I suppose if you found a real beater of a guitar and didn't mind routing out the pickup routing further (although I seem to recall that the body of the '58 is thinner than the '59 [?]).
collin

Post by collin »

The body of the ‘58 is considerably thicker than all other 325 incarnations after it….

As for the pickups, it’s always been a mystery to me why short pole (I.e flat base) toasters have never been available from RIC. Aside from these two reissue models, most 330/360 type guitars from 1967-1970 have a short pole pickup in the neck position and it can be a struggle finding a replacement pickup that fits. I’ve actually cut down the length of reissue magnets to make a flat back toaster that fits.

Much better to modify a pickup that route a body…
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I have the bass neck and guitar bridge toasters in my 4003 bass. They read 7.16 and 7.18 on the ohm meter.
Yes, Alnico mags stick out the bottom. But the 4003 pockets are deep enough to accept them.
They are waaaaay brighter than HiGain is and HB1. Maximum presence!!!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”