What brand of Naphtha do you use

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: What brand of Naphtha do you use

Post by jps »

Bighouse wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:34 pm FWIW, I picked up a 5oz container of Ronsonol yesterday. Plan on doing some work to my 4001 today and will give the body and fingerboard a good cleaning. I’m assuming I should take a microfiber type cloth, squirt a bit into it and scrub away? Does it evaporate real quickly or will the rag stay damp for a bit? I am secretly hoping that my 40 year old aged bindings go from creamish-yellow to white.
I use a clean cotton rag. Naphtha will evaporate pretty quickly from the bass but will take a while for the rag to dry. Not so sure about using a MFC for this sort of application.

Don't expect miracles as to de-yellowing the binding; that won't happen.

This is what I have been using for many years; I put the rag on the spout and turn the can over for a second to get it wet.
VM&P Naphtha.jpg
For our application, ignore the thins part on the can's description, it won't harm anything.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:29 am
lumgimfong wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:06 am Ronsonal is “Light Hydrotreated Distillate (70%)" together with "Hydrotreated Light Naphtha (30%)"”
So, Ronsonal is not 100% naphtha? What comprises this “Light Hydrotreated Distillate (70%)" and what do they mean by "Hydrotreated Light Naphtha (30%)? Sounds like what ever it is, it's watered-down.
Sorry, the chemist must chime in ... technically, there isn't a "100% naphtha" per se, as naphtha is a mixture of straight-chain and branched hydrocarbons (and the different brand probably have slightly different proportions of the components). Although I am not familiar with the term "hydrotreated", it likely means that the mixture is treated with hydrogen in one form or another (e.g., either as hydrogen gas with a catalyst, or in the form of a strong hydride (reducing) agent) to convert aromatics and alkenes to saturated hydrocarbons.

FWIW, I have used just Turtle Wax to remove "gunk", as it, being lipophilic like naphtha, will dissolve/lift oily/greasy residues from surfaces.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ram

Post by ram »

because I looked it up -
Hydrotreating is the reaction of organic compounds in the presence of high pressure hydrogen to remove oxygen (deoxygenation) along with other heteroatoms (nitrogen, sulfur, and chlorine).

Hydrotreatment of Naphtha - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP6ZJ5-fBwo
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”