How do you point your knobs?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Bighouse
Intermediate Member

How do you point your knobs?

Post by Bighouse »

I'm about to finish the work on my 4001 and the last thing to do here is to install my knobs (before the strings). It occurs to me that I don't really pay a lot of attention to where the white dot is on my knobs and adjust them by sound and feel more than anything- but is there a standard clock face position for the dot when the pot is fully off or on? I see the pots turn about 315 degrees- so locate the 50% pot position pointing straight downward when holding the bass?

At 50% adjustment, what position do you think the white dot belongs at- or is there a standard that's used by Rickenbacker?
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: How do you point your knobs?

Post by lumgimfong »

Only your ears can tell you where they are really set!
But for looks, you could take the bass volume and point it anywhere you want when closed and then do the others at the same angle when they are closed. Point it at the toggle or the bridge pup adjustment screw?
I don't know if there is a factory fixed point.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

From the factory all the way up is white dot at 6 o'clock. Yes, pointing down.

"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

That's a beautiful guitar. Such a great color. The black hardware is sublime.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I like the indicators to point towards me when they are full on. That way I can see them easier, especially whenever I'm playing on a dark stage.
The neck pickup volume control is backed off a bit and the rest are full on in the photo.

4003S5_KNOBS.jpg
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I noticed today that the knobs on my 4003AC also point down.
teeder

Post by teeder »

rickenbrother wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:57 pm I like the indicators to point towards me when they are full on. That way I can see them easier, especially whenever I'm playing on a dark stage.
The neck pickup volume control is backed off a bit and the rest are full on in the photo.

4003S5_KNOBS.jpg
+1!
bdawson7

Post by bdawson7 »

Directly at my eyes... :shock:

Oh, you mean on my guitar?

I set the dot so it is on the far-left-side-viewable-edge of the knob when on 10, then when turning CCW it goes across the visible side of the knob so I can tell how all three pickups (or two, but less important then) are all set relative to each other. By the time it disappears to the right the marking is of less use because the volume is so low, and I can tell an audible difference better at that range. I guess the ADD in me would prefer the Gibson style knob numbers/metal gauge.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

All your volume knobs, for both treble and bass pickups, go to eleven, right?
teeder

Post by teeder »

Bighouse wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:15 pm All your volume knobs, for both treble and bass pickups, go to eleven, right?
My little Fender Tweed Deluxe goes to 12!
That's one more, isn't it? :mrgreen:
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

In this photo of my CS both volumes are on full and the treble tone is also on full. The neck tone is backed off all the way.
Attachments
CA0D6FF7-B166-4A40-9214-3C568E6B1718.jpeg
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I point my knobs so I can read them from the players position.

My old '69 4001 came to me with all 4 knobs labelled Treble tone, always found that entertaining.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I never felt I had the time to actually look down at the knobs to see where I was placing them while playing. Things happen so fast, who actually can look at it on the fly? Especially since there are no reference markers on the body and no numbers on the knobs.
So I just go by feel when using them and let the ears decide where to place them while playing.
As for where to place them when installing, I just put them on so that when in closed position, the first knob set screw points to the bridge pup adjustment screw and the rest follow the same angle.
teeder

Post by teeder »

lumgimfong wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:46 am I never felt I had the time to actually look down at the knobs to see where I was placing them while playing. Things happen so fast, who actually can look at it on the fly? Especially since there are no reference markers on the body and no numbers on the knobs.
So I just go by feel when using them and let the ears decide where to place them while playing.
I generally ran my knobs as "set and forget" while gigging. Bridge on full, neck backed off to about 7/8's, both tones opened up ( with a V63). If I needed something different I would use the toggle and/or change my hand placement. Pretty simple.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

For many years I've played Fender P's with their dot-less knurled barrel knobs. My sign is the set screw hole, it's like a dot you can actually feel.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”