Replacing a V2 with a hipshot on a 4003?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ophie

Replacing a V2 with a hipshot on a 4003?

Post by Ophie »

I have a fairly new 4003 (2021) which absolutely perfect in every way except in one major one: the action is too high. The saddles bottom out way too early and doesn't allow for more adjustments. I read online that some people also had similar issues with the V2 and there were some who swapped it with a Hipshot. As this problem affects playability for me, I'm interested to hear if someone has done something similar and what their experience has been. I know Hipshot is not a drop-in replacement for anything post 2019 models, probably new holes need to be drilled, etc.

Thoughts?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Replacing a V2 with a hipshot on a 4003?

Post by rickenbrother »

How is the neck relief?
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I replaced a V2 with a Hipshot but not for those reasons, so I’m not sure if the saddles will actually be any lower.
Ophie

Post by Ophie »

rickenbrother wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:51 pm How is the neck relief?
On all my other basses I set the neck relief to 0.012" and the action to 2.25mm with plenty of space to go even lower. On the 4003, the relief on the bass side is flat (as per rick instructions) and the treble side has a tiny bit relief since it apparently affects the bass side I completely flatten it. The lowest action I can get out of this setup is 2.50mm on everything except the G string which sits a bit above that.

If I set the relief to what my other basses have, the action would only go down to a whopping 3mm.
WillyWonka wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:56 am I replaced a V2 with a Hipshot but not for those reasons, so I’m not sure if the saddles will actually be any lower.
I was really banking on that bridge being lower overall than the V2. I don't see any other solution to this, except for taking material off the the bottom of the bridge (impossible) or the saddles (impossible).
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Setting my relief at .30mm like a Pbass I can get 3/32 at 12th fret on E side and 2/32 g side and still have room to lower it if I want with my Hipshot on my 2016. 4003.

If needed, a radical option you could do would be to route in the bridge pocket into submerge the bridge into the bass face.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

One of the main differences between the original tailpiece (at least on the 4001) and the 4003V2, is that the saddle area IS recessed into the face of the bass. There's another popular replacement saddle, by Babicz, that fits on this tailpiece that replaces just the bridge and saddles- and gives greater string adjustments than the original does. It looks a bit complicated to install and setup, but might give lower string heights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWypEXyu2g
https://youtu.be/b_ZzqDQgcoA
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
Ophie

Post by Ophie »

lumgimfong wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:36 am Setting my relief at .30mm like a Pbass I can get 3/32 at 12th fret on E side and 2/32 g side and still have room to lower it if I want with my Hipshot on my 2016. 4003.

If needed, a radical option you could do would be to route in the bridge pocket into submerge the bridge into the bass face.
That is indeed radical, perhaps too radical for my taste.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Me too. And Probly the break angle would be too shallow.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”