Recommend a 4003 replacement nut please

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Recommend a 4003 replacement nut please

Post by lumgimfong »

I need a replacement nut.
39$ shipping charge from the Ric Boutique is insulting. So I gotta find one on my own.
Are there any others that work well as replacements? What has worked well for you?
Thanks for the info.
Uffingdon

Re: Recommend a 4003 replacement nut please

Post by Uffingdon »

I’ve just recently fitted a Zero Glide ZS-18 to my 4003S and couldn’t be happier, very easy to install and no fussing around with nut files.
It’s supplied with 4 zero frets of different heights, my action now over the lower frets is really low with absolutely no buzzing at all and has never been easier to play.
Something else I wasn’t expecting was that the dead spot on the 10th fret of the D string has all but gone, can’t explain why? It just has!
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Which fret height did you use?
They sound like a nice upgrade but it’s a 12” radius and the rics are 10”.
Does it sit flush to the curve of the board?
I would like to try it.
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

The 4 frets supplied are colour coded and are listed as :-
Purple: Medium .039 inch
Blue: High .043 inch
No Colour: Jumbo .051 inch
Black: Super Jumbo .057 inch
I used the Blue fret, I didn’t concern myself with the actual measurements just went with the feel.
After removing the original nut I placed a straight edge over the first few frets and found the best fit with the underside of the straight edge just sitting on top of the fret when placed on the end of the board.
All that was required was a very light sanding of the bottom of the new nut to lower it slightly and dressing the fret ends before installation.
The radius thing really is not an issue as when gluing the nut in place (don’t use super glue it sets to quick) you tune up the bass and use the string tension/pressure to hold it all in place while the glue goes off and this helps set the fret to the radius of the board.

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thank you so much! I ordered it and hope it works out. Looks great and no need to file nut slots!
My Precision with a Jazz bass neck needs a new nut since it is kinda busted up on the low e. If this works out I might just put one on that bass, too.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Zero Glide may make a really good replacement nut, but its price makes RIC's $3.95 shipping charge seem like a bargain.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Re-read the original post. The Ric shipping fee is not 3.95. to me.
Their only option was fedex home delivery at $39
(thirty-nine and 06/100) to my zip.

I got my zero glide for for 26$ and free shipping. Arrives Monday.
So substantially less, plus no insulting $39 shipping fee.

I like the idea of a zero fret and didn't think of it before it was suggested.
I like trying lots of different strings between the 40-95 and 45-105 range, so this will help me not have to file nut slots as the strings will lay on the fret, not in nut slots.
Worth a shot, anyway!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

lumgimfong wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:05 pm Their only option was fedex home delivery at $39 (thirty-nine and 06/100) to my zip
:shock:
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

UPDATE:
A used one showed up in the mail a few days ago and I had to exchange for a new one.
New one came in the mail today and I installed it in about 1.5 hrs. I went slow. But it's as easy as you said it is to install.
And for anyone who is thinking of getting one, just follow the easy to understand instructions included. Here is how it worked for me:

Shaping the Nut:
Needed to sand the backside and the bottom a little. Very easy and I kept everything square. It is definitely bone. 25 strokes, check. 25 more, check, and so on until I got the dimensions right.
Did not need to sand the width at all. Perfect fit side to side across the end of the fingerboard on a 4003.

Zero fret:
Out of the 4 marked zero frets it came with (red "low", purple"medium", blue "HIgh", non-colored "jumbo") I used the blue ("high") marked one.
It seemed to line up best with the existing frets when I ran a straight edge across them. The jumbo is higher than my Ric frets. The others, lower. However, I would not hesitate to use the others as replacements since the amount of difference is tiny.
Did not have to cut the fret ends, just shaped and filed the ends with my fret file. Buffed the nut and fret with some ultra fine sandpaper.
Fret was good on radius. They say the strings would pull the fret to the radius anyway.

The fret selection litmus test they tell you is start with the smallest fret in the set and play the open strings. Any buzz? Use the next taller fret, and so on until the open string buzz is gone for your playing style.
I made it to the blue one. I can get some buzz on the open low E if I dig in hard but I figured that since the jumbo runs higher than the Ric frets, I should just stick with the blue. Also, my action dropped about half a 32nd with the zero fret. So maybe that is why I could get it to buzz when I tried hard.

Thanks for the recommendation. It is a very nice, thick, nut. Much nicer than stock Ric nut to my eyes. I also like the bone color better on the bass than the black. And I like that the strings sit on the zero fret. No more slot filing for string gauge and radius. Fretted notes play in tune. That won't happen on a regular nut if the slots are filed too high. So the zero fret takes the guesswork out of it.
I'll post a pic tomorrow when the lighting is better in the daylight.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Just gotta file the fret ends a little more.
DB48DE29-D154-44AA-8B8C-4394793BDA67.jpeg
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

Looks very smart, I’m glad it worked out for you also!

Uff
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thanks for the recommendation! It's like they were made for Ric basses.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

lumgimfong wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 am Just gotta file the fret ends a little more.
I see the ends sticking out a bit. That should be an easy fix. Be sure to protect the finish on the neck. Any need to file the nuts slots?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

No need to file the slots, unless you need them wider than they come:
47-67-87-107
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

For those that installed the Zero Glide and had some time to play with it...how are you liking it? I don't need a new nut atm, but I like the concept.

TIA,

--jack

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”