Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

islandjimmy

Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by islandjimmy »

Hi All,

Since Rickenbacker is no longer applying nitrocellulose lacquer to their 4003 fretboards, would it be possible to have it done (by a professional luthier) after the fact? Some like the look of the lacquered fretboards, myself being one of them. If I purchased a new 4003, could anyone see an issue that may occur if I wanted to have the fretboard lacquered after I purchased the bass? I do not know anything about guitar finishes so I am reaching out to you all, to find out if you could see anything that might be a problem if I wanted to have the fretboard lacquered after the bass has already been made? I'm not sure what type of lacquer Rickenbacker uses, but I think it might be important to match their same mix? Also, if Rickenbacker is applying oil to the fretboard woud that be an issue? I'm not sure. Thanks for any input you may have on this subject.

Jimmy
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by lumgimfong »

I could buy a 2022 4003 and swap all the hardware and electronics from it into my 2016 4003 (has lacquered board) and you could buy that one from me. That way you would have a factory lacquered board 4003 and still retain the modern 2022 electronics and bridge. I would not mind an unfinished board.
Outrageous idea but then you would save $$$ not having to pay a luthier to lacquer your board.
islandjimmy

Post by islandjimmy »

lumgimfong wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:00 am I could buy a 2022 4003 and swap all the hardware and electronics from it into my 2016 4003 (has lacquered board) and you could buy that one from me. That way you would have a factory lacquered board 4003 and still retain the modern 2022 electronics and bridge. I would not mind an unfinished board.
Outrageous idea but then you would save $$$ not having to pay a luthier to lacquer your board.
Hmm? Interesting idea. What color is your 2016? How would you rate the condition?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Fireglo.
Very good, minimal fret wear. No divots in frets. Just got a dressing a few weeks ago too, not that it needed it.
But where do you live? Better to see in person.
I did move the strap button to the neck heel.
PM me if you want to discuss.
jleich721

Post by jleich721 »

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rickenback ... 0&index=13

I’m not sure how you would feel about the color, but this bass has a lacquered fretboard. And it has all of the new features Ric has for 2022.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

That platinum 4003s is gorgeous. I like the knobs and the mirror pick guard!

BTW, I just realized, the V2 bridge that comes on the 2022 models would require drilling 5 holes to move it from one bass to the other, so won't work.
I would not be comfortable drilling new holes in your bass. The one on my 2016 is a Hipshot, so you could not get a Ric bridge on it.

But I actually thought I have seen reviews of 2021 models on YouTube that have glossy boards. Not sure if all the 2022 are unlaquered or not. I forgot when the change occurred.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

islandjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pm Hi All,

Since Rickenbacker is no longer applying nitrocellulose lacquer to their 4003 fretboards, would it be possible to have it done (by a professional luthier) after the fact? Some like the look of the lacquered fretboards, myself being one of them. If I purchased a new 4003, could anyone see an issue that may occur if I wanted to have the fretboard lacquered after I purchased the bass? I do not know anything about guitar finishes so I am reaching out to you all, to find out if you could see anything that might be a problem if I wanted to have the fretboard lacquered after the bass has already been made? I'm not sure what type of lacquer Rickenbacker uses, but I think it might be important to match their same mix? Also, if Rickenbacker is applying oil to the fretboard woud that be an issue? I'm not sure. Thanks for any input you may have on this subject.

Jimmy
I don't think they've used nitro in decades actually. The fretboards were finished with the same clearcoat as on the rest of the instrument, IIRC.

Makes me a little sad that they don't do that anymore.
islandjimmy

Post by islandjimmy »

Korladis wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 pm
islandjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pm Hi All,

Jimmy
I don't think they've used nitro in decades actually. The fretboards were finished with the same clearcoat as on the rest of the instrument, IIRC.

Makes me a little sad that they don't do that anymore.
What is IIRC? I have not heard of this and can't find any information doing a google search. Is it some sort of proprietary coating that Rickenbacker invented?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

It was my assumption that modern Ric's are using PolyEurethane for the body and fingerboard.
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

A couple of months back I went to my local music store to demo an Ampeg and by chance they had a new 4003S hanging on the wall so I asked if I could use that while trying out the amp.
Latest model with no clear coat on the fretboard, needless to say I was shocked at the finish from clear coat to fretboard as it was very jagged, I guess from the removal of masking tape!
Hopefully it was just a one off or maybe that’s how it is?
Perhaps a 4003 with binding is easier to get a better finish I dunno?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

IIRC is text shorthand for "If I Recall Correctly".

RIC (shorthand for Rickenbacker International Corporation :D ) has used a "conversion varnish" for decades, and lately a UV curing version of that. In the last year or two, the company has stopped applying the thick varnish to the face of the fingerboards. Some like it, some don't.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Funny, back in the day, people were stripping the finish off of their fretboards.
"Knowledge is Power"
islandjimmy

Post by islandjimmy »

bassduke49 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:27 pm IIRC is text shorthand for "If I Recall Correctly".

RIC (shorthand for Rickenbacker International Corporation :D ) has used a "conversion varnish" for decades, and lately a UV curing version of that. In the last year or two, the company has stopped applying the thick varnish to the face of the fingerboards. Some like it, some don't.
Thank you for clarifying that! :-)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

islandjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pmSince Rickenbacker is no longer applying nitrocellulose lacquer to their 4003 fretboards....
The more correct term is, "Since Rickenbacker is no longer finishing their 4003 fretboards...." Rickenbacker quit using nitro in @ 1958-9. Then they used a conversion varnish, aka catalyzed varnish, for a few decades, and now use a UV cured finish.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

For my next Ric I want an all satin finish.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”