Can I buy a P-Bass?

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Can I buy a P-Bass?

Post by Bighouse »

Ok. I love my 1982 Rickenbacker 4001 Mapleglo. It's a great instrument and fun to play. It's also pretty dang gorgeous. I've been thinking, however, of buying another bass and while initially I've been eyeing a 4003W, lately I've been pulled towards a Fender Ultra P-Bass in Arctic Pearl with a maple fretboard. I may even place my order this weekend. My first bass was a Fender Mustang, back in the late 70's. And I always admired and expected to one day own a P-Bass. That never happened and I ended up buying my 4001 in the late 80's instead.

So, am I being unfaithful to my Rickenbacker if I purchase a Fender to have as a companion to my Ric? Are the instruments similar enough in body shape/cut that switching between them won't be any kind of issue? I know they both have a 34" scale length, so I don't anticipate any issue there, but what about how the body sits on a lap or hangs from a strap?
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Re: Can I buy a P-Bass?

Post by Bighouse »

Well. Nevermind. I guess I can own one...cuz I just ordered it.
espidog

Post by espidog »

Bighouse wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:40 pmI know they both have a 34" scale length, so I don't anticipate any issue there
I have bad news. They have different scale lengths: Rick basses are 33 1/4 inches. This critical three-quarter-inch discrepancy will sabotage any hopes you might have of being able to play either instrument with any proficiency. Your attempts to play the P bass will be eternally dogged by a tendency to fall 3/4 inch shy of any given fret, and should you manage to re-train your muscle memory to accomodate the 34" scale of the Fender, you will find yourself forever fretting 3/4 inch too far on the 4001. Result: a hideous maelstrom of missed-fret misery that will scar you for life and dash all hope of ever again enjoying being a bassist.

Naaa mate - you'll be fine. :lol: I own 6 basses, of wildly differing designs and four different scale lengths. You just adapt to the foibles of each instrument you own.

And of course you're not being "unfaithful" to your 4001. It's just a bass ...although you will have to make sure it gets its fair share of your attention, or it will sulk, resulting in dulling of the finish and, in extreme cases, irretrievable tail-lift. You have been warned... :wink:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

Got it two days ago. Plays well. it's LOUD in active mode and very differnet from my 4001. So far they seem to be getting along and I haven't yet detected any jealousy or sibling rivalry between them. FIngers-crossed.
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

Bighouse wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:40 pm ...So, am I being unfaithful to my Rickenbacker if I purchase a Fender to have as a companion to my Ric?...
Having two basses that are fairly different from each other might bring out contrasts, and might help you to appreciate the features of both, features you might not notice otherwise. A good kind of infidelity. I am talking about basses.

bluewhale
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

B21ECDB0-B6FF-47EA-BF93-522CFA1F19E3.jpeg
It’s like they’re best friends. Now I just need to find a good Mesa Boogie rig for them both to share. You’d think living just 30 minutes from the Petaluma factory/headquarters, that they would be available as factory returned, blemished, scratched/dented, demo, or used equipment everywhere!

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”