Super tiny dent on the back of the neck that I find annoying, is it just me?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

islandjimmy

Super tiny dent on the back of the neck that I find annoying, is it just me?

Post by islandjimmy »

Hi All,

Proud owner of a 4003 Fireglo here. I have a micro tiny dent on the back of the neck, around the 5th fret. It's so small that it didn't even crack the finish, but for some reason whenever I slide my hand across it I find myself distracted by it. Has anyone else had this issue and gotten it fixed? I suspect there is a psychological aspect to it, but for some reason it just bothers me. I called my local guitar repair shop, and to repair it they drop a small amount of super glue in there and buff it out. Anyone else ever have this issue, and if so, what did you decide to do?
Dirk

Re: Super tiny dent on the back of the neck that I find annoying, is it just me?

Post by Dirk »

If it bugs you now, I doubt that it will go away.
Super glue fix will be a lot cheaper than redoing the whole neck.
Or just learn to live with a unique bass that you could identify with your eyes closed. :)
Condolences, as the first ding is the toughest.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Super tiny dent on the back of the neck that I find annoying, is it just me?

Post by lumgimfong »

You can use a scotch brite heavy green pad to buff the neck into a satin finish. That way:
1. Your thumb will slide better along the neck for easy playability.
2. It may help lessen the dent if it is not deep.
islandjimmy

Post by islandjimmy »

Thank you both for your comments. I've decided to take it in and have it fixed. Like you said, if it bugs me now it probably won't go away and I think you're right. :)
teeder

Post by teeder »

That's not a dent, it's Mojo!
People charge extra for that.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm still not clear on what it is. is it an impression in the wood, and the smooth finish follows it down and back up? Or is the wood fine, and there is a ding in the finish? Did you do it or was it like that from the factory? or from a previous seller? If you took the time to post about it I doubt you'll ever be happy with it. There are plenty of 4003 FG's around... unless it's a specific era you like I'd just start shopping for another and prepare to sell that one. The only acceptable repair would be unreasonably expensive.
islandjimmy

Post by islandjimmy »

jdogric12 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:35 am I'm still not clear on what it is. is it an impression in the wood, and the smooth finish follows it down and back up? Or is the wood fine, and there is a ding in the finish? Did you do it or was it like that from the factory? or from a previous seller? If you took the time to post about it I doubt you'll ever be happy with it. There are plenty of 4003 FG's around... unless it's a specific era you like I'd just start shopping for another and prepare to sell that one. The only acceptable repair would be unreasonably expensive.
It is a small dent, on an otherwise perfectly smooth neck. It was there when I bought it used. I noticed it immediately when I picked up the bass for the first time, but I thought it was something I would be able to ignore. The dent is maybe 1/8th of an inch long and has a sharp edge to it's perimeter. It didn't break through the clear coat, just dented it, but the ridge causes a small "catch" when you run your hand up and down the neck. It is actually hard to see, but you can feel it every time your slide up and down the neck. It doesn't affect playing at all, it's just annoying because it distracts me while playing. I posted this because I was wondering if anyone else is as neurotic as me when it comes to a small nick on the back of the neck? :lol:
islandjimmy

Post by islandjimmy »

teeder wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:17 am That's not a dent, it's Mojo!
People charge extra for that.
Right, people do pay extra for that! Anywhere but the back of the neck as far as I am concerned. Meanwhile I imagine Geddy Lee or Paul McCartney's basses are full of nicks and bumps, but those guys were too busy making great music to focus on a small dent on the neck. lol
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

islandjimmy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:37 pm
jdogric12 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:35 am I'm still not clear on what it is. is it an impression in the wood, and the smooth finish follows it down and back up? Or is the wood fine, and there is a ding in the finish? Did you do it or was it like that from the factory? or from a previous seller? If you took the time to post about it I doubt you'll ever be happy with it. There are plenty of 4003 FG's around... unless it's a specific era you like I'd just start shopping for another and prepare to sell that one. The only acceptable repair would be unreasonably expensive.
It is a small dent, on an otherwise perfectly smooth neck. It was there when I bought it used. I noticed it immediately when I picked up the bass for the first time, but I thought it was something I would be able to ignore. The dent is maybe 1/8th of an inch long and has a sharp edge to it's perimeter. It didn't break through the clear coat, just dented it, but the ridge causes a small "catch" when you run your hand up and down the neck. It is actually hard to see, but you can feel it every time your slide up and down the neck. It doesn't affect playing at all, it's just annoying because it distracts me while playing. I posted this because I was wondering if anyone else is as neurotic as me when it comes to a small nick on the back of the neck? :lol:
You'll be fine. Just move the building a little to the left. :D
ram

Post by ram »

I think a trip to a luthier might be in order. Explain the issue and see what they can offer up.... all you need is cash!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have a similar small dent on one of mine. I notice it, but I can't say that it bothers me.

So yeah, probably just you! ;)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”