Body routing for vintage bridge

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Spellcaster

Body routing for vintage bridge

Post by Spellcaster »

I'm busy upgrading my Rickenfaker by changing everything over to high quality electronics, and Rickenbacker Hi Gain pickups and hardware. I just added the 00550 tuners today, and have a vintage style 4001 bridge coming that should be here Monday. I spent some time this afternoon reviewing a video on bridge installation, and found out unexpectedly that the body needs to be routed for the bridge plate. The guy doing the video also mentioned that there's some type of rout required for the mute, but unfortunately, he glossed over it and went on the demonstrate aligning the bridge. Can anybody tell me a bit more about the rout required for the mute? Thanks, I appreciate your advice.
Spellcaster

Re: Body routing for vintage bridge

Post by Spellcaster »

I've spent hours searching online and haven't found too much information, which is why I'm hoping the experts here can advise me. I found one picture on Reddit that is said to show a rout that serves both the bridge and the mute. Can anybody tell me if this looks typical of what a person sees under any typical Rick 4001 bridge?

Dirk

Post by Dirk »

That looks like the standard route to me. It just needs to allow the mute to go down far enough to back off the strings.
Also notice the holes for the posts, it needs to be at least that deep.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

Here's a pic of the route under the bridge on my 2011 4003. The area under the mute is a little bit deeper than the rest.
20211126_131555.jpg
--jack

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”