Shipping to Australia

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mgauction
Advanced Member

Shipping to Australia

Post by mgauction »

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum for this request but does anyone here have experience shipping a bass to Australia? I am quoted in the thousands. Are there any freight companies you know of that ship at reasonable prices? Thank you!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
Dirk

Re: Shipping to Australia

Post by Dirk »

I sent a bass pre-pandemic to Australia, took the neck off and it was around $100 insured.
These days I would expect a full neck through bass to be about $300 or so.

USPS was the cheapest, try UPS, Fedex, and DHL. I don't think freight is the way to go anymore.
You might look into a bicycle shipper.

Good luck,
Dirk
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Unfortunately, it's a set neck so no luck there, but thanks for that info. Looks like my best deal is a $799 shipment cost that me and the buyer are going to split. Actually, not bad from what I was fist quoted by FedEx & DHL. USPS wouldn't even consider it as the dimensions are too big.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Yeah sadly the shipping world has changed, and yes it's all about size.
They have gotten really restrictive with larger packages.

Good luck,
Dirk
collin

Post by collin »

Ship it with Parcel Monkey

www.parcelmonkey.com

This is a parcel service, basically they let you book a shipment using their high-volume accounts (UPS/FedEx/Mail etc) with massive discounts.

You should be able to ship a bass to Australia for about $300 with UPS Expedited (Note, even if it doesn't say UPS, but shows the "brown" hidden option, it'll be UPS).

The only catch is that Parcel Monkey and all other parcel services don't allow insurance claims on musical instruments. I would suggest booking a simple shipping insurance separately from the courier.

I've successfully shipped many guitars and amps around the world and to the U.S. through Parcel Monkey, I highly recommend it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Collin recently gave me some good advice so definitely go with what he says.

I will say I shipped a 4003 in OHSC to Oz circa 2008 and it was $400, so $800 doesn't sound completely insane for 2022 considering all the factors like time, inflation, covid...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”