Rich Robinson Rickenbacker Model

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

efpee

Rich Robinson Rickenbacker Model

Post by efpee »

Hello there everybody.. about three weeks ago I've been to The Black Crowes' Gig in Bochum, Germany where Rich Robinson used a Rickenbacker during the encore ("Rock and Roll" by Lou Reed). Despite my best efforts, I couldn't figure out which model he played (and unfortunately I'm currently not able to post a photograph in this forum either..) - the body shape was that of a 360/6 Thinline (you know, the rounded Cutaways etc.), BUT: it had an f-shaped soundhole. Also, the machine heads looked like Klusons rather than Schallers which were mostly used on older models, but these didn't correspond with the body shape again.. so, has anyone seen Robinson play that axe and can give a clue what kind of Ricky that is?
Thanx
Frank
efpee

Re: Rich Robinson Rickenbacker Model

Post by efpee »

image.jpeg
Ok, I'm what they call "technically challenged", but maybe this may work out and the picture is shown here... :wink:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

That is a Rose Morris model 3262. Many of these were built as 12-strings but converted to 6-strings (by Rickenbacker) via plugs in the headstock channels. Those are Van Ghent tuners. Several were sold through the Italian distributor Saporetti & Cappelli.
efpee

Post by efpee »

Great, thanks for the information (also about the tuners). I assumed it might be a Rose Morris, but I'd never seen this specific model before.. seems they're pretty rare, right? Even the German/Austrian Rickenbacker distributors had no idea... :roll:
Greetings
Frank
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

Model 3262 from the new Rickenbacker book.
Scan_20221030.jpg
efpee

Post by efpee »

Yeah, this really seems to fit.. apart from the headstock plug.. looking at Robinson's guitar, he might have a larger nameplate installed over it...
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

When Rose Morris discontinued their business with Rickenbacker in '67 the remainder of their orders were sent to Italy, so there must have been some 360/6s that didn't need to be converted as part of it.

A lucky find for sure!
efpee

Post by efpee »

Wow, this was the first time I ever posted something here and boy, what an increase of knowledge that brought already.. anyway, I just came across some pictures of a Rose Morris 365 S which were also distributed in Italy and the look is quite similar to Robinson's model as well.. same thing, different name?!
efpee

Post by efpee »

For the record, the said 365 S is pictured under https://reverb.com/item/35749648-ricken ... orris-1967
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Probably just a 360S, right? I don't see the 3262 headstock slot fillers.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

It used to have those fillers.
I had it modified in 1990 when I purchased it. It was nearly unplayable due to the worn frets, so I needed to refret it. In that context the black fillers were removed; the front of the headstock covered with a maple sheet and the sides with rosewood. The whole neck-headstock was therefore refinished.
The rest of the guitar is as it was in origin, including the 12 string-type headstock logo
collin

Post by collin »

Actually - I don't think Rich Robinson's guitar is a Rose Morris 3262 at all.

In fact, I believe this is one of two (?) prototype models made in June 1964, which were the factory's first experimentation with the round-top 360 body. Note the peculiar slimmed down shape of the lower horn? Also, the fact it has Van Ghent tuners when no later 3262 models did.

It also has a bound F-soundhole, which the factory never did again after these (anybody have a better photo of Robinson with the guitar?

I believe this guitar was sold recently by Rumbleseat Music (and it was at a California dealer before that). Here is the guitar and the Registry entry:

https://www.rickresource.com/register/v ... lebrity%3D
efpee

Post by efpee »

Yup, it's hard to say if the f-hole on Robinson's guitar is bound or not.. the bright spot at its upper end could probably be just a reflection of the lights... I took the pic with my mobile phone so the quality isn't that great..
To summarize, the guitar could either be:
a. modified 3262 without headstock plug and probably non-original tuners
b. Rose Morris 365 S model (e.g. a 360 S w/vibrato)
c. 1964 two(?) of a kind prototype with bound f-hole and original Van Ghent tuners.
In any case it surely isn't simply your standard Rick.. gee, never thought this would become such an exciting search for answers.
Keep on digging..
Frank
collin

Post by collin »

efpee wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:38 am Yup, it's hard to say if the f-hole on Robinson's guitar is bound or not.. the bright spot at its upper end could probably be just a reflection of the lights... I took the pic with my mobile phone so the quality isn't that great..
To summarize, the guitar could either be:
a. modified 3262 without headstock plug and probably non-original tuners
b. Rose Morris 365 S model (e.g. a 360 S w/vibrato)
c. 1964 two(?) of a kind prototype with bound f-hole and original Van Ghent tuners.
In any case it surely isn't simply your standard Rick.. gee, never thought this would become such an exciting search for answers.
Keep on digging..
Frank
It's not much of a mystery, there is no such thing as a Rose Morris 365 S model (only the 3262), and even the body shape clearly confirms this guitar is the '64 prototype.

Besides, it's no coincidence that shortly after Rich Robinson is seen playing a rare Rickenbacker bought from Rumble Seat Music, that the same shop subsequently lists a '69 Rick 381 formerly owned by Rich Robinson (i.e. he traded this 381 in for the '64 365):

https://reverb.com/item/61187793-1969-r ... 81-fireglo

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”