Broken locks on case, suggestions?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

KenKuro

Broken locks on case, suggestions?

Post by KenKuro »

Hello

I obtained a 1977 Rickenbacker 4001 bass, with case. One of the locks is broken off, the other was locked when it was shipped to me, but without a key, so I had to pry it open with a screwdriver thus bending the lock.

I can still close the case with the middle latch, which does not lock, but doesn't look the sturdiest.

I can buy a new case for ~$350, but obviously don't want to spend the money if not needed, and it's kinda interesting to keep the original case for this vintage bass.

1. Is there any reasonable way to replace these locks?
2. Or suggestions for repairing the bent lock, and how to get a replacement key?

Thanks!
1977 Azureglo Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
collin

Re: Broken locks on case, suggestions?

Post by collin »

Forget about repairing the lock that is there (and the same key opens ALL of these cases, and damn near every Fender case of that era too).

Just replace the entire locking latch on both sides. You can find these parts on eBay or Reverb.

Warning though, it’s not very easy to swap these if you’ve never done one and/or you aren’t handy with repairs. It almost requires three hands, to help seat the rivets completely while keeping the latch in the right place.

Way better option than buying a new case that isn’t original to the bass.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I have been meaning for years to buy a rivet gun and get some practice at this.

Replacement parts aplenty online, look for Cheney latches.
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

If its a G&G Case (black with blue interior):
https://g-g-quality-case.myshopify.com/products/lock
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

Alternatively, according to the FAQ's, they (G&G) may be willing to repair the case for you:

"Can I send my case in for you to repair?
Yes, but we will do HARDWARE REPAIRS ONLY. The customer is responsible for the shipping cost both ways, unless your product was purchased directly from us and you received a product with defective hardware, in which case we will cover the cost of shipping and the repair. Please contact us at info@ggqualitycase.com before sending your case to us."

https://ggqualitycase.com/faq/

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”