2022 4003 CB SMG "Limited Edition"

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sunsetjunk

2022 4003 CB SMG "Limited Edition"

Post by sunsetjunk »

Wow! I just picked this up last week from WildWood guitars in Colorado. What an improvement over my last 4003 Walnut.
New bridge design, single truss rod, skunk strip, checkerboard binding, unfinished neck, vintage knobs, and a perfect mechanical and cosmetic build.
I wasn't sure I was going to like the unfinished neck as that was part of what added to the unique feel of RIC basses, but I like it.
I purchased this with the intent to just use it for some product pictures, then sell it, but I'm keeping it, it sounds and plays great.
Is there any way to know what the total build quantity is/was on these limited edition CB SMG basses?
IMG_7654.jpg
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: 2022 4003 CB SMG "Limited Edition"

Post by lumgimfong »

Congrats on such a nice bass!!
I think unfinished necks would be cool. No finish bubbling near the frets!!
marantz2010

Post by marantz2010 »

sunsetjunk wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:04 pm Wow! I just picked this up last week from WildWood guitars in Colorado. What an improvement over my last 4003 Walnut.
New bridge design, single truss rod, skunk strip, checkerboard binding, unfinished neck, vintage knobs, and a perfect mechanical and cosmetic build.
I wasn't sure I was going to like the unfinished neck as that was part of what added to the unique feel of RIC basses, but I like it.
I purchased this with the intent to just use it for some product pictures, then sell it, but I'm keeping it, it sounds and plays great.
Is there any way to know what the total build quantity is/was on these limited edition CB SMG basses?

IMG_7654.jpg
I have one for sale and nobody is showing it any love. Crazy! But it isn’t my thing either…
I like Rickenbacker basses, especially the good ones.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Looks great!
teeder

Post by teeder »

marantz2010 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:54 am
sunsetjunk wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:04 pm Wow! I just picked this up last week from WildWood guitars in Colorado. What an improvement over my last 4003 Walnut.

IMG_7654.jpg
I have one for sale and nobody is showing it any love. Crazy! But it isn’t my thing either…
Where is it listed?
marantz2010

Post by marantz2010 »

teeder wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:22 am
marantz2010 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:54 am

IMG_7654.jpg
Where is it listed?
eBay, Reverb, locally. Market must not like these that much. I’m open to PayPal transactions too, just haven’t used the RR marketplace yet.
I like Rickenbacker basses, especially the good ones.
sunsetjunk

Post by sunsetjunk »

Ya, for a limited edition with the checkerboard binding I would have thought these would be fetching a pretty penny, especially with the 22s having the walnut strip in the neck :?: Not sure why it's not more desirable?

As much as I like it, it still doesn't have the mystique of a JetGlo to me. The problem I have with the Jetglo's is that they don't photograph with as much pop as the other colors, especially the maple and walnuts.
I'm looking for a 2022 4003S in Jetglo that plays and sounds as good as this CB SMG to be my regular player.

I haven't been on this forum for a couple of years, it seems a bit quieter here than what I remember. Is RIC interest waning? It looks like they are making their basses better than ever right now, I would expect more interest in the brand.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

@sunsetjunk:
I wonder do most US citizens have $2,000+ that they can spend on a bass these days? Or an understanding spouse?
If not then probably everyone not in the top 15% of earners in the USA are finding US made instruments out of their financial reach unless they have serious bass priorities.
Sometimes I wonder will the USA made guitar industry collapse. How much longer can people worldwide afford $2,000+ guitars?
But I guess prices will stay the same as long as they have enough buyers to keep them in business.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sunsetjunk wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:27 pmI haven't been on this forum for a couple of years, it seems a bit quieter here than what I remember. Is RIC interest waning?
Facebook is the reason, I think.
sunsetjunk

Post by sunsetjunk »

lumgimfong wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:13 pm @sunsetjunk:
I wonder do most US citizens have $2,000+ that they can spend on a bass these days? Or an understanding spouse?
If not then probably everyone not in the top 15% of earners in the USA are finding US made instruments out of their financial reach unless they have serious bass priorities.
Sometimes I wonder will the USA made guitar industry collapse. How much longer can people worldwide afford $2,000+ guitars?
But I guess prices will stay the same as long as they have enough buyers to keep them in business.
Well, regarding USA made instruments the 4003 basses are actually priced competitively compared to Gibson and Fender. When I was on Wildwoods site picking out this bass I saw a bunch of $4000 plus Fenders and Gibsons, so the Rick limited edition at just over $2200 seemed reasonable, the standard 4003 basses were under$2000. Even a Fender American Standard pbass is $1600.

But yes, I get your point, some of the prices do seem unsustainable.
Maybe the culture is changing and not so many kids are learning to play instruments anymore? I used to think that, but recently I've met a bunch of my younger (16yo) daughters friends and quite a few play guitar, drums, keys, etc, so who knows.

Maybe there will be a tech backlash in the coming generation and those kids will go more analog, and start bands. My daughter is a huge vinyl records fan, and so are a couple of her friends :D
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

lumgimfong wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:18 am Congrats on such a nice bass!!
I think unfinished necks would be cool. No finish bubbling near the frets!!
And no assurance it wouldn't soak humidity, warp, and maple rot start devouring it.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I meant "fingerboards".
But I think unfinished necks would do fine.
Plenty of them can be seen in concert by musicians where they are worn down to bare wood. Of course, hand crud has probably blocked up the wood pores since most of them look really darkened.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Maple rot???????? :roll:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Is it "limited?" or only in the sense that they'll make them until they don't? Or only certain dealers have them?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Don’t know but here is something similar:
a 2014 v63 MG satin limited edition (50 for GC?) for sale like 10 minutes from me:
http://www.nationwideguitars.com/2014ri ... 4001S.html

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”