What is this? Actual Ric?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

What is this? Actual Ric?

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Picked up this carcass of a 320/325, but not sure of it's authenticity or origin. It was not represented as an actual Ric, but the finish is great quality (any preceived bumpiness is reflection of my popcorn ceiling) and the finished fingerboard is just gorgeous. Came with a trapeze tailpiece and non-original guards and nothing else. In the likely event that this is not an actual Ric, any idea what it is? Fernandes, Greco, other? Hopefully this is alright to post. Any input on authenticity or origin is much appreciated. I got it pretty cheap, so just hoping to turn it into a solid little backup for my 325.

Dom

Re: What is this? Actual Ric?

Post by Dom »

This one is a fake. Big tip offs are single truss and the visible neck joint. Ric neck slides into a pocket, so you never see that and no routes for pickups either. You would see the tongue of the neck under the pickup routes.
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Appreciate any input. It's a solidly made piece, but I want to make sure that it doesn't get any actual Ric branding when I put it together in what ever form it ends up taking. Gives me a bit more license to get a bit whacky and not stay so precious with it. That fingerboard though, right?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm not saying this one is real, but I'm pretty sure real 325's always had single rods, right?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jdogric12 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:13 am I'm not saying this one is real, but I'm pretty sure real 325's always had single rods, right?
Yep!
1984 325v59 JG
1984 325v59 JG

Do the dot fret markers look small compared to the 325v59's?
DSCN0336_cr.jpg
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Dom

Post by Dom »

Wait, mind blown, I thought they all had two! Honestly I never looked under the cover of the Es 16 I briefly had either, is the single rod true for all their short scales?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Dom wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:53 pm Wait, mind blown, I thought they all had two! Honestly I never looked under the cover of the Es 16 I briefly had either, is the single rod true for all their short scales?
[tried to post last night but it didn't work ... :evil: ]

It might be that only the v-series have the single truss rods. I found a picture of my AWOL 1982 310 LH and it has dual truss rods:
P2074462.JPG
I don't remember whether my 1966 Ryder 1000 (student short scale) has single or dual (I don't have a picture of the headstock without the truss rod cover), I may dig it out and take a look-see.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”