4005XC

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

CatHead

4005XC

Post by CatHead »

These have come down *a little* in price in the UK now, surprisingly (if you look around on the net). So im *a little* tempted by them... anyone else out there got one already? Mainly im interested in the weight of it, how it sounds acoustically (and is it loud?), what the case looks like (and if its any good) and if theres any other fun case candy stuff.
1975 Rickenbacker 480 Jetglo
1980 Rickenbacker 4001 BurgundyGlo
1982 Rickenbacker 4001 Cream
2002 Rickenbacker 4003 BurgundyGlo COTY
2010 Rickenbacker 620 FireGlo
2015 Rickenbacker 4003S JetGlo
2017 Rickenbacker 4003 British Racing Green Ltd Ed
Dom

Re: 4005XC

Post by Dom »

I absolutely love mine, it changed my entire approach to music after 30 years on primarily guitar. Wide range of tones and Rick o sound with the 5th knob is great on a bass. I lowered the top pickguard for slap. Not plugged in there’s some string noise but I wouldn’t call it loud, nothing like acoustic bass loud. I’m going to add a piezo under the bridge. The last day of November I was about to record an in depth year in review video, helped someone in front of my house with their car and my right hand got crushed under the hood/bonnet. Cartoon style and everything…Playing blind with a Frankenail till it heals.
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

Well, I have one on order (since Jan 2021!).....

Hoping it'll turn up sometime this year..... :roll: :wink:
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

GregNouveau wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:04 am Well, I have one on order (since Jan 2021!).....

Hoping it'll turn up sometime this year..... :roll: :wink:
It's been only two years. What's your hurry? :wink:
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

:D

Actually I got a response from Rosetti yesterday!!

They said they didn't know when they'll arrive in the UK: they only get told they're on the way when they actually are..! :D

But they DID tell me that no Jetglo's have been exported to the UK as yet, only the Fireglo's.

Given that RIC have made their last batch of 4005XC Fireglo's then I guess the Jetglo's will be on their way in the not-too-distant...? :wink:
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

I was in San Francisco in October and visited a musical instruments retailer in the surronding area of SF
They had two 4005XC...one in FG the other one in JG
i do not know how long they had been in stock at that dealer.
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

You guys in the USA are lucky: seeing Rics in the UK is another world.... rare and exotic creatures that rarely visit....! :D
teeder

Post by teeder »

GregNouveau wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:01 am You guys in the USA are lucky: seeing Rics in the UK is another world.... rare and exotic creatures that rarely visit....! :D
I can't remember the last time I saw a Ric in a local store.
It's been decades.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I'm like teeder. I'm near Toronto where there's a million instruments and national dealers. In the past 30 years, I've seen 2 Ric basses in those stores. The smaller shops that sell vintage gear have had all the 4xxx models and a 3001. I've yet to see a 4005 Light Show or GF2030 bass.
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

I snagged one of these from Wildwood during their Holiday Season sale. What an incredibly capable bass!
Ric2.jpeg
Ric1.jpeg

And here's how it sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/4005xc-caprice

https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/theme ... eethoviana
Ratwax

Post by Ratwax »

I know what you mean about hard to find. RIC supply scarcity is the way of life here in OZ.

I've heard the local distributor falls out of contract periodically, sometimes for a couple of years. No supply, no parts and not even strings!

Then all of a sudden they pop up in mainstream stores like mushrooms after rain and dissappear just as quick. Always the usual suspects - 4003, 620, 330 and some 360s. Mind you, that makes for an interesting local market in used and imported gitboxes.

Cheers,
Andrew

1989 620/12,
2003 4003
1986 330
1991 381 V69
1998 650 Dakota
Plus various Squiers and stuff
teeder

Post by teeder »

Koshchei wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:06 pm I snagged one of these from Wildwood during their Holiday Season sale. What an incredibly capable bass!

Ric2.jpeg
Ric1.jpeg

And here's how it sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/4005xc-caprice

https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/theme ... eethoviana
That looks awesome!
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

What's crazy to me is that it sounds and plays even better. While it's an oddball ostensibly collector instrument, it's got a dynamic and super growly tone. And the neck heel doesn't start until the 23rd fret.

In a way, it's a pity that it's limited run, because there's nothing out there that's comparable.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I agree, there’s nothing out there like it. It’s a player’s instrument. I love the 24 fret neck access. That and a responsive chambered body were the things that sealed it for me on playing Ric 330 style guitars eons ago. The 4005XC is like a hot rodded bari-330 or lead bass or bass or whatever it is. Whatever it is, it covers a wide sonic ground.

Some collect, which is fine because players and collectors rely on each other for the Universe to expand enough to allow space for this unicorn to exist. I bought mine with full intent to play and damn the resale. It was far more than what I paid for my car at the time but I had no choice, I’d dreamed about one since I was 14. I couldn’t know that this instrument existed out there and rarely be heard. What I paid for a pretty bass that tricked me into picking it up more, playing better, writing more and changing up my music game was well worth it.
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

You and I are on exactly the same page. I got mine to play the snot out of as well! I'd more or less consigned it to "out of reach" until Wildwood's sale, and was fortunate enough to have my net handy :)

And nothing against Collectors whatsoever - they love music and the instruments, the same as us. They also subsidize the great instruments that musicians now have access to. Nobody wants to go back to the days of no truss rods, ****** electronics, and frets that give tetanus.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”