4005XC

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Isaac

Re: 4005XC

Post by Isaac »

Koshchei wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:39 pm It's the jumping bow technique that string players use when playing really fast arpeggio shapes across strings, where the lowest and highest notes are repeated. François Rabbath adapted the technique from violin for double bass, and I've tried to extend it for electric bass.
I assume that you are doing this with your hand. Unless you've figured out a way to bow an electric bass...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I was real disappointed by this model. Nothing like the original shape & size of the ones previously produced. And the colors offered are just plain. Too bad. Rickenbacker had a chance to fill some dreams to many but reacted in an awkward manner.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

mgauction wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:04 pm I was real disappointed by this model. Nothing like the original shape & size of the ones previously produced. And the colors offered are just plain. Too bad. Rickenbacker had a chance to fill some dreams to many but reacted in an awkward manner.
RIC is going to reissue what you are seeking. :D They already have at least one that has been shown to people.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Thanks Jeff :D Any idea when this will happen?
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

mgauction wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:43 pm Thanks Jeff :D Any idea when this will happen?
No, I don't, but I believe there may be someone around here who does. :wink:
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

Isaac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:25 pm
Koshchei wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:39 pm It's the jumping bow technique that string players use when playing really fast arpeggio shapes across strings, where the lowest and highest notes are repeated. François Rabbath adapted the technique from violin for double bass, and I've tried to extend it for electric bass.
I assume that you are doing this with your hand. Unless you've figured out a way to bow an electric bass...
It's kind of like a rasgueado technique: thumb down pluck -> thumb up-pluck -> index finger up-pluck -> middle finger up-pluck -> middle finger down pluck -> index finger down pluck -> repeat. The goal is to get two triplets out of a single movement.

Mike, I wouldn't discount the instrument just because it looks like a pre '64 360. It's a beast of a player.

edit: looks like the link stopped working - take 2: https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/thana ... -rabbath-1
Dom

Post by Dom »

Embroiled with studio construction but I finally managed a recording using the 4005XC as the “backing band”. Spontaneous acoustic recording started the whole thing so the drums were live too. For the Ric Bass “backing band” It highlights the piezo mod at the beginning then I roll in with the dirty bridge and bassy neck then strings and finally electric guitar roles in one take.

https://youtu.be/PGyzmVxHfJM?si=ey0DBrgVt6Zkj9rK
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

Nice! The 4005XC is one versatile instrument, to be sure!

I'm pushing hard to see what the technical upper bounds are on it, and still finding new avenues to explore! Unlike most basses, it's got enough treble in it that you can really push bass harmony too: https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/churc ... the-forest

This is six basses, and to my ears, the 4005XC makes it sound GREAT (nb: still composing the piece -- this is very much still in progress).
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Koshchei wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:52 am Nice! The 4005XC is one versatile instrument, to be sure!

I'm pushing hard to see what the technical upper bounds are on it, and still finding new avenues to explore! Unlike most basses, it's got enough treble in it that you can really push bass harmony too: https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/churc ... the-forest

This is six basses, and to my ears, the 4005XC makes it sound GREAT (nb: still composing the piece -- this is very much still in progress).
That sounds like it will be vewwy intewesting once complete. I can hear a fretless melody line over the top.

As to the subect/title of your song, here is something to complement it.

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Mama mia!!! That takes me back to the days of my youth, and the spaghetti harvest!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

squirebass wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:27 pm Mama mia!!! That takes me back to the days of my youth, and the spaghetti harvest!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A friend of mine has that on 16mm film; I have only seen it in his home theater. Same with his copy of Mant!

Dom

Post by Dom »

Well, I have some lyrics and thus a new video where I pushed the bass and background stuff up a bit to thicken it up. The song is about PSA airlines and USAir merger of 1988. PSA was the blueprint for Southwest and their planes featured bright orange livery emblazoned with a smile. This is dedicated to anybody ever laid off in such an event.

https://youtu.be/lNj-9L7lJ24?si=emZrJVrGD4GRwCcT
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

Here's a demo of the finished composition:

https://soundcloud.com/koshchei-1/nocturne-underdark
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Has there EVAH been a better film, in cinema history, than MANT!, or more terrifying? I saw it in ATOM-O-VISION for the first time, and I thought I would NEVER sleep again!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

squirebass wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:14 pm Has there EVAH been a better film, in cinema history, than MANT!, or more terrifying? I saw it in ATOM-O-VISION for the first time, and I thought I would NEVER sleep again!
:mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”