Fretless Ric bass questions.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Fretless Ric bass questions.

Post by lumgimfong »

Thinking about looking around for a fretless Rick bass. I have a couple questions to anyone who knows about them.

1. Are fretless basses a thing of the past to the point that Ric Probly will not do fretless run again (except maybe for a limited run which I am sure I could not afford anyway)?
2. Are there any iterations I should avoid? Or are all iterations good? I have heard rumblings about placement of dots. I don’t think I have read about any other issues.

Thanks for the info.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Fretless Ric bass questions.

Post by rickenbrother »

I have a 75 4001FL and a 4003FL. I love them both. they sound and play wonderfully. The issue with both is the side dot marker. The 4001FL (Burgundy) has the dots where EVERY fret would be. The 4003FL (Montezuma Brown) has the dots placed the same as a fretted 4003. I think it was the 4003FL's from the 90s that had the side dots markers where they should be on a fretless. They must have changed to use a regular 4003 side dot pattern to streamline production. I've crudely but effectively corrected the dot pattern using an 8.5 x 11" weatherproof label cut to fit along the binding and then making new marks.

It's unlikely that they would be added to the rotation of the regular production schedule since they like to concentrate on their "bread-and-butter" models. Though since they do offer a limited run of instruments with special colors or appointments, a special limited run would be the most likely chance. That's just my speculation, I honestly have no idea. A fretless 4004 would be super sweet...now I'm REALLY dreaming!

4001-3FL.jpg
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thanks for the info!!!
I appreciate it.
Gorgeous basses!! Thanks for the pic.
At least the issue of the regular dot placing can be solved!!
I know I will probably have to take what I can get (and afford). So I won’t pass on a purchase just because of the dots.
Do you only play fretless?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

lumgimfong wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:01 amDo you only play fretless?
No, but I do love it when I have the opportunity to gig with one.
Gigging Burgudy FL.jpg
10482301_10201850963995121_127840338981446903_n.jpg
205819_1704291720894_6188674_n.jpg
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

After playing fretted for a while does it take time to get back with good in tune playing on the fretless or is it like riding a bike?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Yes indeed it's all about muscle memory, but if you had the ability before, you can get it back quite quickly.

Just like making it to Carnegie Hall, it takes practice, practice, practice. :)
Well unless you don't care about intonation?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

lumgimfong wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 am After playing fretted for a while does it take time to get back with good in tune playing on the fretless or is it like riding a bike?
It shouldn't take too long to get good intonation back if you've had enough experience. haven't needed to use a fretless bass at a gig in a few years. It's one thing to play at home, play well and then say to yourself "I got this!" and find out differently at a gig. As much as I've felt comfortable doing it before, I wouldn't rush into playing a gig with a fretless without first getting enough practice.

I don't like lined fretless. Not because I see them as cheat lines, it's that I've heard inexperienced players not use their ears and THINK their intonation is good because they place their fingers where they think they should.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I'm not even sure when the last run of fretless was produced by Ric.

I bought my 4004 Cii already de-fretted, and I de-fretted my 2020 4003w myself.

The few used fretless I have run across have been grossly overpriced.

I switch between fretted and fretless, and it's harder for me to go back to fretted, but for just a few bars.

I prefer side dots to be near the note, but have adapted to many different variations of lined and lineless and various side dot confugrations.

I even got brave and ordered a neck with no markings.... nail polish side dots fixed that lesson in insanity....
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Could you please tell me how you defretted your bass yourself?
Interested in the process in case that is the only viable option. Thanks!!
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

lumgimfong wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:54 pm Could you please tell me how you defretted your bass yourself?
Interested in the process in case that is the only viable option. Thanks!!
Just remove the existing frets with as little damage to the board as possible.

Then fill the fret slots with a wood veneer to either contrast or match the board for a lined or lineless look.

I have also used polystyrene plastic for slot filler.

Relocate side dots if desired.

Ebony slot filler on a maple board, original side dots filled and moved

Polystyrene slot filler, white fretboard dots and rosewood dyed black, photo luminescent side dots

The lighter wood slot filler is actually ebony sapwood and the dark is Brazilian rosewood, I don’t think I moved the side dots on this one yet.

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I'm gigging with a 2007 4003fl on a rockin' oldies show. I think Rickenbacker fretless basses sound more like a double bass that just about any fretless basses I've heard. I don't pursue mwah, but the sustain on ballads is beautiful. On this bass there are the same number of dots as a fretted version. On the side they are placed where the actual note is, on the top they are where they would be on a fretted. They're both useful. Intonation is always a thing, but it keeps the gig interesting.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Kiddwad57 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:40 am I think Rickenbacker fretless basses sound more like a double bass than just about any fretless basses I've heard.
Agreed, when the neck pickup is soloed.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

The oldies gig went very well with lots of compliments on the sound of the bass, especially on the ballads. A "qualified listener" was knocked out by the Ric, reaffirming the authentic string bass tone. I did up the balance to the front pickup on those ballads.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Kiddwad57 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:18 am The oldies gig went very well with lots of compliments on the sound of the bass, especially on the ballads. A "qualified listener" was knocked out by the Ric, reaffirming the authentic string bass tone. I did up the balance to the front pickup on those ballads.
Interesting. My impression is that few people ever notice the bass much less the tone.

Or maybe I'm just not that good!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Well, in this case, “lots” were a few comments made by two qualified listeners. Still…

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”