No bridge with Rick-O-Sound - am I using the right cable?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

slt8576

No bridge with Rick-O-Sound - am I using the right cable?

Post by slt8576 »

I got a 2007 360-6 used a few years back and only just tried the Rick-O-Sound output for the first time with two amps.

When in the neck position, I got a neck-type sound out of one of the amps.

When in the middle position, I got a middle-type sound coming out of both amps.

When in the bridge position, I got no sound out of either amp.

I'm guessing that I have one of 3 issues:

1) The wrong cable
2) A bad cable
3) Bad wiring

Before I investigate #2 or #3, I first wanted to check if this was the right type of cable (see attached photo). I got this cable many years ago and don't have any details on it.

Thanks for any assistance or advice you can offer!
IMG_1299.JPG
collin

Re: No bridge with Rick-O-Sound - am I using the right cable?

Post by collin »

I always troubleshoot by eliminating the dumb options first.

Did you confirm that the output jacks aren't simply switched (with mono jack coming out of the "RoS" labeled position, and stereo out of the unlabeled)?

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that, though unlikely from the factory.

Secondly, when plugged into RoS, did you turn the fifth knob? This adjusts the volume between each pickup in stereo form.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Also, there is limited clearance in the wood around the jack. There have been cases where it prevented the jack from making proper contact and working. The fix is usually just to loosen the jack a bit and spin it a little so that it clears the wood better, then snug it back up. It can't hurt to try it and see if it fixes the problem.
slt8576

Post by slt8576 »

@collin Thanks for your reply! I can confirm that I had the 5th knob halfway between its endpoints. I also tried the reverse jack possibility, and they seem to have been installed correctly.

I tried again this morning, to no avail. Any suggestions on where to go next? New cable or the shop for a wiring check?

Tip cable end going into left amp / Ring cable end going into right amp:
  • Neck pickup: Comes out of both
  • Middle pickup: Comes out of both
  • Bridge pickup: Comes out of left only
Ring cable end going into left amp / Tip cable end going into right amp:
  • Neck pickup: Comes out of left only
  • Middle pickup: Comes out of both
  • Bridge pickup: Comes out of both, left signal somewhat weaker
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Are you certain that your cable is a stereo cable and not a balanced cable that splits ring & sleeve for some reason?
slt8576

Post by slt8576 »

Great minds think alike! I actually had gone ahead and ordered a new cable, and, in so doing, I found the old cable listed on Amazon. A reviewer for that pointed out something to the effect of it not being a stereo breakup cable and that it was more for studio/mixing purposes, meaning its channel priority served a different purpose.

Anyway, I just tried the new cable a little while ago, and I'd give it a 95% grade. The pickup selector/amp separation worked as expected. The only minor issue was that, when on the neck pickup selector, the "bridge" amp still got some signal, not insignificant but also not like you'd expect at full bore. I'm guessing that may be because it's a relatively cheap cable in the scheme of things vs. a Rickenbacker or other active routing box?
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

(Well, I thought you had the correct cable.... :? )

How about posting a link and/or descriptive name of the cable you bought, proven to be correct? Thanks.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

slt8576 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:17 pmThe only minor issue was that, when on the neck pickup selector, the "bridge" amp still got some signal, not insignificant but also not like you'd expect at full bore. I'm guessing that may be because it's a relatively cheap cable in the scheme of things vs. a Rickenbacker or other active routing box?
This is by design. The blend pot does not fully shut off. One of them quirky Rick things.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I recommend this stereo splitter box. Stereo cable from your Rick-O-Sound jack to stereo in, then regular instrument cables from the mono outs to your different pedals/amps.

You can also make your own box on the cheap if you know what you're doing.

https://www.rattlesnakecables.com/artic ... -splitter/

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”