300 series return to 21 frets

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

300 series return to 21 frets

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Saw a couple of posts from Ric's IG page regarding a return to the 21 fret neck joint on 330s and 360s. I see now that they're starting to pop up at retailers. Along with a return to lacquered fingerboards, they apparently have a "more vintage spec neck profile". If anyone has the opportunity to get their hands on one and can provide some comparison, it would be much appreciated. I'm VERY excited to see how the 360 turns out because the 330 looks pretty good.

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 300 series return to 21 frets

Post by jps »

Looks great! :D
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Return to lacquer fingerboards?
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Hard to tell from the photos I posted here, but I could have sworn the pictures that Ric posted with racks of them had lacquered boards, and there has been talk of finished fingerboards returning. Maybe it was just my hopes influencing my perception. If not, bummer. I was loading the gun to pull the trigger as soon as the 360's drop, but maybe not now. I've already been considering letting go of my 4003S to get a 4003 with a finished fingerboard. Not a night and day difference, but something I've come to expect and prefer when I go to a Ric.
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

21 frets, now that’s proper!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

What I’m about to say is pure speculation.

My guess is that the advent of the Rickenbacker 24-fret neck in the first place (‘70-ish) was to combat a structurally weak spot at or around the neck pickup, particularly on 12-strings, and then quickly became standard issue.

So what I wonder is whether or not:
1. Current model 330/12 and 360/12 models will also have 21-fret fingerboards;
2. If so, what reinforcement or design change will strengthen that spot.

Aesthetically, I’m a fan of both styles, so I’m in favor of the change, and think that such variations are the spice of life.

I anticipate the 00030 toaster pickups being sold out for a while, as that’s the most common reversible mod that gives some vintage “wow.”

Although, combining my last two thoughts, I do think toasters look out of place on a 24 fret Rick. I’m sure they sound great and as intended.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

brianeharmonjr wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:13 am Hard to tell from the photos I posted here, but I could have sworn the pictures that Ric posted with racks of them had lacquered boards, and there has been talk of finished fingerboards returning. Maybe it was just my hopes influencing my perception. If not, bummer. I was loading the gun to pull the trigger as soon as the 360's drop, but maybe not now. I've already been considering letting go of my 4003S to get a 4003 with a finished fingerboard. Not a night and day difference, but something I've come to expect and prefer when I go to a Ric.
i get that. I like the finish to be on there as well, but it’s not a dealbreaker either way.

Hard to tell, but the 330FG shown here looks like it has an unfinished board. We’ll see what The New Norm is at NAMM I suppose. (“NN@NAMM”?)
arbiter

Post by arbiter »

Looks like they hit the street.

https://www.thunderroadguitars.com/stor ... mapleglo-1

Agreed, hard to tell, but think the fretboard looks unfinished.
collin

Post by collin »

kennyhowes wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:21 am What I’m about to say is pure speculation.

My guess is that the advent of the Rickenbacker 24-fret neck in the first place (‘70-ish) was to combat a structurally weak spot at or around the neck pickup, particularly on 12-strings, and then quickly became standard issue.
Exactly right that it was done for structural reasons, but not for 12-strings. Oddly, a 24-fret 12-string Rickenbacker was not made for more than three years after 24-fret Rickenbackers first appeared.

According to Dick Burke, the 24-fret Rickenbackers were the result of strengthening the neck joint for the slant fret 360 models (and 331 Lightshow) in 1970, like you said. But curiously this change was not implemented on all models for a few more years. Production was so slim in 70-73, especially for 12-string models. It's possible that they had necks already built and were using up 21-fret stocks through the early 70s until switching to 24-frets. Reasonable guess there?

To address your other points, Ben mentioned that all 300 models will have 21 frets, which I assume to mean both 330/360 body styles and 6/12 strings. No further reinforcement of the neck joint is needed than what was used on every V- or C-series reissue over the last 40 years, those are all generally stable. The 60s era neck angle issues were the result of poor craftsmanship, not a flawed design. The neck pockets were simply too wide for the neck tenons, and the factory just filled that gap with white wood glue and best intentions. Usually worked for the 6-strings, but not the tension of 12 strings! Plus the neck pickup route, three-piece body etc (both of which evolved over time trying to try and prevent the neck issues).

With the sort of CNC precision the factory offers today, that neck joint can be really strong and still have 21 frets.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

You’re right - it slipped my mind that there’s nowhere near the neck problems on, say, a 360/12V64 vs. a ‘60s 360/12.

I feel a modern-day 330/12 MG in my future.
MatthewBrown

Post by MatthewBrown »

I’d love to know more about the new neck profile. Does anybody know if it will be a fuller neck (it’s hard to get them thinner), and if so, the first fret specs and shape details?

I’m increasingly finding that neck profile is my key to enjoyable playing. I love my 330 but a fuller, rounder neck is my preference and I’d consider swapping my 2012 330 for a 21 fret 330 if the neck was thicker.
collin

Post by collin »

I believe the neck profile is actually slimmer than before, a “vintage” profile is what I’ve heard (which could mean a lot of things, as the profile changed numerous times in the 50s - 70s era).
crisp

Post by crisp »

This is awesome. At first I thought I was seeing things while window shopping on Reverb.com. Came here for validation. I JUST got my 330 amberglo refretted. Had I known of these new specs I would have sold it and bought one of these 21 fret jobbers. I find that I keep hitting the neck pickup with my pick!
crisp

Post by crisp »

MatthewBrown wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pm I’d love to know more about the new neck profile. Does anybody know if it will be a fuller neck (it’s hard to get them thinner), and if so, the first fret specs and shape details?

I’m increasingly finding that neck profile is my key to enjoyable playing. I love my 330 but a fuller, rounder neck is my preference and I’d consider swapping my 2012 330 for a 21 fret 330 if the neck was thicker.
My 2006 330 has a massive neck which measures 0.95" from the first fret all the way down. I recommend looking around 2002-2006 for the fat necks. Most will have the "Gumby" headstocks, but I don't care. Gumby is cool.

My Amberglo is 0.90" which just makes the cut for me. How people deal with the 0.79" necks is beyond my realm of understanding. :?

Also had a BlueBoy and Montezuma that had necks around 0.90"-0.92". No joke. I am a stickler about that stuff and measured them with calipers. All mid-early 2000's models if I recall.

Best of luck to you!
MatthewBrown

Post by MatthewBrown »

Hey Crisp - that’s great to know and thanks. I just measured mine at the first fret (lazily leaving the strings on) and it’s 0.85” or 2.2cm so deduct a bit for the low E. How do you know the neck widths by year? Is there a site to see this?
crisp wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:45 pm [quote=MatthewBrown post_id=881252 time=<a href="tel:1677893233">1677893233</a> user_id=7256]
I’d love to know more about the new neck profile. Does anybody know if it will be a fuller neck (it’s hard to get them thinner), and if so, the first fret specs and shape details?

My 2006 330 has a massive neck which measures 0.95" from the first fret all the way down. I recommend looking around 2002-2006 for the fat necks. Most will have the "Gumby" headstocks, but I don't care. Gumby is cool.

My Amberglo is 0.90" which just makes the cut for me. How people deal with the 0.79" necks is beyond my realm of understanding. :?

Also had a BlueBoy and Montezuma that had necks around 0.90"-0.92". No joke. I am a stickler about that stuff and measured them with calipers. All mid-early 2000's models if I recall.

Best of luck to you!
[/quote]

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”