Worth the wait?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

WillyWonka

Re: Worth the wait?

Post by WillyWonka »

Changed the strings and a little tweak on both truss rods last night.

Intonation tonight.. not sure what this bridge is called, but it was my first experience with one… some quirks but I have dealt with much worse.

The “R” tailpiece doesn’t allow the wrench in to intonate the unwound strings, but tilting the bridge forward solved that.

I cleaned up the saddle grooves and nut slots a bit, and the nut was already quite close.

Sticker is still in place…
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Wednesday for the mapleglo..
Attachments
IMG_2284_Original.jpeg
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Mapleglo came in tuesday but I couldn't pick it up due to the Cure concert...

I picked it up last night and changed the schaller ****** strap buttons... I hate hose damn things....

I do need a couple more sets of the old style strap buttons if anyone has a few spares without $35 shipping...

I had a couple of straps I didn't like on other guitars but they work perfectly on my new 620's.

no pics yet cuz I was too busy playing her.... she was a half step flat out of the box so I'm thinking of complaining to ric customer service....
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Triplets
Attachments
IMG_2309_Original.jpeg
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

My #1 for the last 21 years has been my midnight blue '02 620, and it's been a great all around player. I hope you enjoy yours for as long!
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

ChuckEds wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:07 pm My #1 for the last 21 years has been my midnight blue '02 620, and it's been a great all around player. I hope you enjoy yours for as long!
I’m barely a year into owning a ric 6 string (650d) and they are quickly climbing up the ladder of my favorite treble geetars..

I do like the pickups in the 620’s more than the 650, but I have always preferred single coils. (P-90’s are my absolute favorites)

I’m thinking maybe I should try scatter wounds in one of the 620’s
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I found a video comparing the hi gains and the toasters…

Not worth $320 + $35 shipping… it may be the excuse I need to get a 660 though….
Attachments
IMG_2317_Original.jpeg
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

What’s the story with the top horn on the 650?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Uffingdon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:18 am What’s the story with the top horn on the 650?
IIRC, that's a Paul Wilczynski "Special". :roll: Bottom horn, too. :roll:
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

Thanks for the clarification.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Uffingdon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:18 am I'm looking at the accent vibratos for maybe one or both of the 620's....
jps wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:16 am
Uffingdon wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:18 am What’s the story with the top horn on the 650?
IIRC, that's a Paul Wilczynski "Special". :roll: Bottom horn, too. :roll:
Uffingdon wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:22 am Thanks for the clarification.
yep, Paul's tulip conversion, I'm a huge fan of dubble cutaway's, and a huge fan of this geetar.

I'm looking at the accent vibratos for maybe one or both of the 620's.... they seem similar in design to the Gibson Vibrolas which I don't particularly care for, but it looks nice.

I may just order one to see if I like it.
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

I've got an Accent on my '96 350V63 and it works just fine, and I use it quite a bit. IMHO they are underappreciated, I mean you're going going to do dive bombs with it but it'll give you a nice little shimmer.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

ChuckEds wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:28 pm I've got an Accent on my '96 350V63 and it works just fine, and I use it quite a bit. IMHO they are underappreciated, I mean you're going going to do dive bombs with it but it'll give you a nice little shimmer.
I think I'll end up getting them from winfield, I need to get a few more of the strap buttons to replace the schallerish garbage.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Pickup question.

Adjusting the pickups, and not going to take anything apart….

Tired to lower the neck pickup and it didn’t want to go lower.

Foam under the chrome bezel but I’m getting the impression the route isn’t deep enough to lower it even if I remove the foam..

Amirite?

Pickup balance was 50-70% louder favoring the neck pickup, but adjusting the poles on the bridge pickup sorted it to perfection..

I love single coils anyway, but I think these hi-gains are my favorites…
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

WillyWonka wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:37 pm Pickup question.

Adjusting the pickups, and not going to take anything apart….

Tired to lower the neck pickup and it didn’t want to go lower.

Foam under the chrome bezel but I’m getting the impression the route isn’t deep enough to lower it even if I remove the foam..

Amirite?

Pickup balance was 50-70% louder favoring the neck pickup, but adjusting the poles on the bridge pickup sorted it to perfection..

I love single coils anyway, but I think these hi-gains are my favorites…
Try the vintage type rubber Gromits grommets instead, maybe even cutting them in half to make them even thinner. Put then in the four corners, too, just like on vintage Ricks.
4005WB Neck Toaster Detail M 1280 01.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”