Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Pre-1984 truss rod question

Post by kennyhowes »

Ok.

So.

I’m familiar with the truss rod system in the subject line, and how to straighten the neck on models from this timeframe. Very familiar.

But what are some tips for when a neck is being particularly persnickety, without having to get some kind of contraption that resembles a medieval rack?

Also, as the instrument I'm currently working on is a 12-string, any serious adjustment should be done with all strings off, yes?

Grazie mille in advance.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Pre-1984 truss rod question

Post by jps »

Hey.

Kenny.

What are the neck's particular persnicketies?
scotty

Post by scotty »

What the hell is a pernickety snickery LOL.
Just get someone to hold the body whilst you hold the headstock and tighten when adjusted.
Turn up music loud and ignore loud cracks or bangs.
😆

The strings should be up to pitch surely when adjusting so you get the correct adjustment?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Medieval racks are gonna be expensive....not that I'd know...
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:32 am Hey.

Kenny.

I’m just trying to get the neck dead flat, and it’s not. Plays well, just want it, well, just right.

‘60s 12-string, so I’m trying to go gentle.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kennyhowes wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Kenny.

I’m just trying to get the neck dead flat, and it’s not. Plays well, just want it, well, just right.

Are the rods fuly tightened now, or is there still a lot of threads protruding from the nuts?

Does it have any s-curve to the fingerboard? Something I learned on this very site is that removing the strings and totally slacking off the truss rods, then leaving the guitar for a few days for the wood to "reset", so to speak, that it may help take care of that.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

kennyhowes wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Kenny.

this opinion comes from owning three 1981 instruments with the old-style hairpin truss rods and playing them on stage for decades: 4002WG bass, 320JG guitar, and 360-12OS FG ckbd guitar. Sometimes you can only do so much. The wood can shrink, give a little at the stress points, and all other sort of reasons that the neck will not be dead flat, in spite of best efforts. Moreover, as we use lighter strings than when the neck was originally designed, there will be more string excursion due to lower tension at pitch, which on enthusiastic playing will cause fret slap. Are you really sure you want the neck dead flat?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

iiipopes wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:03 am this opinion comes from owning three 1981 instruments with the old-style hairpin truss rods and playing them on stage for decades: 4002WG bass, 320JG guitar, and 360-12OS FG ckbd guitar. Sometimes you can only do so much. The wood can shrink, give a little at the stress points, and all other sort of reasons that the neck will not be dead flat, in spite of best efforts. Moreover, as we use lighter strings than when the neck was originally designed, there will be more string excursion due to lower tension at pitch, which on enthusiastic playing will cause fret slap. Are you really sure you want the neck dead flat?
I get that, but neck slap does not frighten me - my ‘81 12-string has it, with a straight neck, and yet still rings out like a bell.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:32 pm Are the rods fuly tightened now, or is there still a lot of threads protruding from the nuts?

Does it have any s-curve to the fingerboard? Something I learned on this very site is that removing the strings and totally slacking off the truss rods, then leaving the guitar for a few days for the wood to "reset", so to speak, that it may help take care of that.
Need to check - have not dived in on this just yet.

Yes, maybe such a reset is the way to go.

However, we just entered a cold snap. During the reset, should I have a humidifier going in the room?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kennyhowes wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:42 am
jps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:32 pm Are the rods fuly tightened now, or is there still a lot of threads protruding from the nuts?

Need to check - have not dived in on this just yet.

Yes, maybe such a reset is the way to go.

However, we just entered a cold snap. During the reset, should I have a humidifier going in the room?
I guess that would depend on the RH in your house/room already.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Today is the day I’m diving in. Wish me luck.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Good luck! :D
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:34 pmGood luck! :D
+1 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Well that worked out pretty good!

Left the strings slacked and the rods loosened for 2 days, had a humidifier going with the door shut (not 24/7, but for a good while). Today, bent the neck into place and gently tightened the rods down and tuned to pitch.

The neck is still not dead flat, but it’s a vast improvement.

I’m not sure how much good the steam from the humidifier did, but the reset has happened and the action is much better.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Congrats! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”