Rick 330 Bridge PU Bass Response

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

raketenmann

Rick 330 Bridge PU Bass Response

Post by raketenmann »

Dear community

I do own a Ricky 330 since about 2 years now. I like to play the guitar though it is something different than my other guitars. First I thought the HiGains were a little dull sounding, after a while I deconnected the tonepots and the trim pot with great results in treble amount. 6 months ago or so I replaced the higains with a pair of Creamery handwound toasters. I do like the sound a bit better, although the difference didn't seem to be huge.

Everytime when I didn't play the guitar for a while and pick it up, I need to get used to the sound of it. Once I did a brief A/B comparison with my thinline tele and was surprised that the bass response on the tele bridge PU is so much higher. Of course, a tele PU is angled and this can have a hughe impact an the bass response, but somehow I am still wondering if probably I did somehting wrong when I installed them, probably a bad wiring or a problem with a pot or something... The neck pu has an insane amount of bass, if you swith into neck or even middle position theres plenty of bass, but on the bridge it sounds a ittle thin. I know that a ricky is supposed to be a jangly guitar, but still.... I am just not a 100% sure...

Any ideas on how to validate this? Probably I will post some soundfiles later (if this is possible here)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Rick 330 Bridge PU Bass Response

Post by jdogric12 »

You might want to try the original pickups with better matched pot values. A member here "aceonbass" aka Dane Wilder does harnesses that are great for Ricks.
raketenmann

Re: Rick 330 Bridge PU Bass Response

Post by raketenmann »

Yes, since working on a Rickys electronics is so super easy, I just disconnected both tone pots. to check out. Wellnfirst impression was that the tone instantly gained some of what I was missing, more presence, more bite, more clearness... But comparing the pre and post recordings the difference was almost inaudible. But it is there and so far the guitar sounds a bit better. I wonder if changing volume pots will have an even more drastic effect on the tone and if it would be for the better or worse.. There are still the original 330k pots in the volume position...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”