Reverb Sighting - Could this be a neck-Thru 4000?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

K9-4026

Reverb Sighting - Could this be a neck-Thru 4000?

Post by K9-4026 »

https://reverb.com/item/75381772-ricken ... g2ltoPi4dM

Image # 4 shows a seam thru the finish towards the tail, back side, right where a thru-neck wood seam would be expected.
Lightly modded, this could be your dream bass.

"Let it Roll . . .
. . . down the Highway . . ."
Isaac

Re: Reverb Sighting - Could this be a neck-Thru 4000?

Post by Isaac »

Not at over $7K, it won't be!
teeder

Post by teeder »

Pretty pricey for all the changes.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

quite expensive but this is due to the fact that the seller is in Europe. In any case, apart from the modifications, I am not sure I like the paint cracks in the neck area close to the nut
teeder

Post by teeder »

Certainly a warning flag.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

I had that bass for about a week, a few years back, before returning it to the shop. It needs a lot of work to restore it. It cost me me about £1499 and they even offered a significant discount if I kept it, which with hindsight I should have done as I could have fixed it up over time. It didn’t have the thumb rest or bezel (?) when I had it.

When I had it the truss rods worked fine, but as is often the case intonation with the old bridge was an issue with my preferred very low action. Nice pickup though, although I really need two. I’d originally planned to turn it into a copy of Lemmy’s first bass with a TBird pickup in the neck, but started to have second thoughts (should have done it!). It is indeed a neck-through ‘72, with no neck route. I’m pretty sure the cracks in the paint are just in the paint; it was a very bad refinish and there were lots of cracks in it. The paint is very thick. It really needs stripping and refinishing.

Sometime after taking it back I decided I’d made a mistake and rang to see if it was still in; it wasn’t, but they said they had another, which turned out to be an original ‘64 RM1999. I’ve never got on a train so fast in my life. It was beautiful but over my budget, although again, I wish I’d just taken out a loan and bought it. The way I see it, if I’d kept the ‘72 I’d never have got to play the RM, so that was the silver lining for me.

Tbh, even in the UK they’re asking way too much. It’s rare, but it needs a lot of work. I recently saw a beautiful condition early ‘73 Azure 4001 with all the features go for the same price at a well-known dealer.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Story of my
I made that “should have bought it” mistake with a 60s MG4005 at A1 Manchester going for £699. It was identical to The Ox Tommy bass. I was buying a 12string acoustic that day. When I got home I decided I should take the acoustic back and buy the 4005..of course it had gone. Guess who bought it..The Stone Roses!
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Painful isn’t it? Still, at least you know where it went.

Hope you’re ok by the way!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

pag wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:56 pm Story of my
I made that “should have bought it” mistake with a 60s MG4005 at A1 Manchester going for £699. It was identical to The Ox Tommy bass. I was buying a 12string acoustic that day. When I got home I decided I should take the acoustic back and buy the 4005..of course it had gone. Guess who bought it..The Stone Roses!
I got my first bass in 1971, a late '60s Jazz Bass (typical 3TSB and tort pickguard) for $175.00 (actually, my parents bought it for me; I was 14 years old, then). By 1973 I was hot on the trail for a Rick bass after playing a high school friend's 4001 and hearing "Roundabout" on the radio, and then seeing Genesis on April 14, 1973 at a small college gym. They were opening for It's A Beautiful Day which is who we were going to see. We had no idea who Genesis was, never heard of them before, as was the same with the other opening band, Sylvester and the Hot Band. Seeing Rutherford's RM1999 just fueled the fire even more for a Rick bass.

Through the music grapevine I learned of a guy who wanted a Jazz Bass and he happened to have a Rick bass to sell. Perfect! When we got together and I saw the Rick bass he had, it looked kind of strange to me as it was a large hollow body bass, and all I'd seen up to then was my friend's 4001 and Mike's RM1999, neither of which looked anything like this hollow body I was now holding. Whatever, it was a Rick, so Frank and I did a straight swap between the basses, and now I had a Rick bass I knew nothing about, nor what model it was called. But, hey, I now had a Rickenbacker bass! :D

It wasn't until 10 years later that I finally found out what the bass was, a February 1967 4005WB in Jetglo. For years, I have been looking for another JG 4005WB. I've only come across one other, in someone's collection in Japan, years ago.

I finally sold the 4005WB in the summer of 2011 when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse! :D
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

That’s also a great story! But the main thing I take from it Jeff is that you saw Genesis in 1973…I’m not prone to jealousy but in this case I’ll make an exception! :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

henry5 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:18 am That’s also a great story! But the main thing I take from it Jeff is that you saw Genesis in 1973…I’m not prone to jealousy but in this case I’ll make an exception! :lol:
Pure chance, it was. :mrgreen: They were touring the Foxtrot album (something I learned after going to the record store to seek out their LPs). They opened with "Watcher of the Skies" and closed with "Supper's Ready" (they also did earlier material, because I can clearly recall "White Mountain, and "The Knife", too). :D Needless to say, everyone in that gym (about 500 people) were totally blown away by the music and Peter's costumes and masks! Imagine what it did to a certain 16 year old's head. :lol:

Subsequently, Cleveland became a big Genesis town.

Genesis-Adelbert Gym 04-14-1973 Ad.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”