Touch Up paint for Fireglo, or any other RIC color?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Touch Up paint for Fireglo, or any other RIC color?

Post by squirebass »

I gently tipped over my beloved 4003S FG and it hit a bit of metal with the end of headstock, resulting in 3 very bad chips in the finish down to the wood. :( :( :(

I'm familiar with using polishing compounds etc. for cleaning up abused finishes on RIcks but I've never known of any Fireglo touch-up paint that I could touch up then wet-sand or polish in, to make the wounds less noticeable. Can anyone recommend anything for my baby??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
collin

Re: Touch Up paint for Fireglo, or any other RIC color?

Post by collin »

Any touch-up you put there is guaranteed to look worse than it does right now.

Since Rickenbacker CV finish is catalyzed (unlike lacquer) to does not touch-up easily. The touch-up paint does not melt into earlier layers like lacquer wood.

Sometimes you can get away with Jetglo touch-ups using enamel nail polish. But Fireglo is going to look terrible, even if you have decades of experience doing touch-up work professionally.

The dings and scratches that instruments get as they are used are something to be proud of, IMO. It’s what gives the guitar character.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

collin wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:44 am

Sometimes you can get away with Jetglo touch-ups using enamel nail polish. But Fireglo is going to look terrible, even if you have decades of experience doing touch-up work professionally.

The dings and scratches that instruments get as they are used are something to be proud of, IMO. It’s what gives the guitar character.
Yeah, you are probably right, Collin. If what you say is true, my bass has lots of character! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ratwax

Post by Ratwax »

A guitar tech friend of mine would gently touch up chips with a red marker to blend the colour. He recommended auto top coat. However, I've never tried this on a Rickenbacker. Just passing it along for consideration.

Cheers,
Andrew

1989 620/12,
2003 4003
1986 330
1991 381 V69
1998 650 Dakota
Plus various Squiers and stuff

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”