Rickenbacker 370WB wiring?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BuckMarr

Rickenbacker 370WB wiring?

Post by BuckMarr »

Hello. I have a 1992 370WB in MapleGlo. I cannot seem to figure out the pickup selector and what pickups it goes to and how the knobs work with the pickups. I am wondering if someone at some point re-wired things and now it doesn't make sense to me. Could you tell me how it is supposed to be from the factory? Also, anyone happen to have a wiring schematic to send me for this model in case I need to take it to a guitar tech here in Phoenix, AZ as most places I go to are unfamiliar with Rics.
To give you an example, when plugged in to the "Standard" jack, when the pickup selector is in the "down" position and I have the Treble Volume knob turned fully counter-clockwise (totally off) and the Bass Volume knob turned fully clockwise (totally on), I get no sound.
If anyone could fully explain to me what pickup the selector is using (for example, the selector in the middle position is for all 3 pickups [maybe? I'm guessing here]) and how each pickup selection interacts with each of the 5 knobs that would be a great help to me in troubleshooting whether or not it's user error on my part or if someone has gone in and messed with the wiring at some point. Thanks so much for your help!!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Rickenbacker 370WB wiring?

Post by jdogric12 »

The RIC site is under construction at the moment for an overhaul apparently, but the internet wayback machine will get you to a recent version of the manual, which explains as follows:
Most Rickenbacker six and twelve string guitars come with separate volume and tone control knobs for the bass and treble pickups. In addition, each guitar has a three position pickup selector which allows instantaneous selection of the bass pickup, the treble pickup, or a tonal blend using both pickups. When the pickup selector is combined with the tone and volume controls, three different sounds can be present and chosen simply by switching the pickup selector.

When the volume and tone knobs are turned all the way clockwise, they are in the wide open "on" position. When the pickup selector is down, the treble pickup (closest to the bridge) is in use. When the selector is up, the bass pickup is in use. The middle selector position is a blend of both pickups. When using only one pick up, only that pickup's tone and volume controls will have an effect.

On Rickenbacker models which have three pickups, the bass pickup and the middle pickup are wired together, and the instrument is then controlled just as if it had only two pickups. When the selector is down, the treble pickup is on. When it is in the middle, all three pickups are on. When it is up, both the bass and the middle pickup are on. Rickenbacker basses with two pickups have the same volume and tone controls as the six and twelve string guitars, as well as a three position pickup selector.

Many Rickenbacker guitars come with a fifth control knob providing extra tone adjustment capabilities. Using this control to adjust the volume of the bass pickup in relation to a preselected treble pickup lead volume setting, you can set it at the tone you will use more often. Or it can function as a bass/treble equalization control.

To use the fifth knob as a bass pickup volume equalizer, first place both volume and both tone controls on the instrument at their maximum clockwise positions. Then, move the pickup selector to the treble position and set the amplifier to the desired lead sound. Now, switch the pickup selector to the bass pick up. The fifth tone knob can now be adjusted in order to bring the rhythm sound to a volume compatible with the already selected lead sound volume.

To use the fifth knob in a set position, first place both volume controls and both tone controls on the instrument at their maximum clock-wise positions, and move the pickup selector to the center position. Now adjust the amplifier, by setting the gain controls at the desired volume and the bass and the treble controls at their maximum positions. Finally, adjust the fine tone selection knob on the instrument until the tone which will be used most frequently is reached, and leave it in that position. After the small knob has been set, the pickup selector may be moved down for maximum treble or up for maximum bass. The variable vol- ume and tone controls on either the amplifier or the instrument can now be moved to the desired volume and tone settings.

To use the fifth knob as an equalization control, first place both volume controls and the treble tone control on the instrument at their maximum clockwise positions, and move the pickup selector to the center position. Move the bass tone control on the instrument to its maximum counter-clockwise positions, and set the volume and tone controls on the amplifier to their desired positions. Now, with the instrument's treble up full and the bass at its minimum, the fine tone selection knob can be used as a tone equalizer, moving the instru- ment through the entire tonal range without adjusting the amplifier.

When using a Rickenbacker guitar with the Rick-O-Sound effect, much of the tonal variation produced by playing through R.O.S. can be better controlled through two different amplifiers or through two channels of one amplifier. However, when using Rick-O-Sound, the fine tone selection knob now becomes a balance between the two amplifi- ers or channels, and can be adjusted to provide the desired blend of treble and bass.
https://web.archive.org/web/20221219124 ... manual.pdf
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Your specific problem sounds like maybe someone swapped the two jacks, because plugging a cable into the ROS jack usually results in getting just the treble pickup, and only when the switch is either in the middle or down position, since there is nothing transferring the bass pickup's signal.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

BuckMarr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:33 pm To give you an example, when plugged in to the "Standard" jack, when the pickup selector is in the "down" position and I have the Treble Volume knob turned fully counter-clockwise (totally off) and the Bass Volume knob turned fully clockwise (totally on), I get no sound.
Sounds (no pun intended) perfectly normal to me (unless I am reading this wrong).

In your example you have the switch set to just the bridge pickup (down position) and you have the bridge pickup's volume control FCCW (fully turned off), so you shouldn't get any sound. Did you try the same but with the Treble Volume control FCW (turned up all the way)? You should get the output from the bridge pickup with the volume control full on.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”