Binding shrinkage on new Ric?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lazerdriver

Binding shrinkage on new Ric?

Post by lazerdriver »

Bought a new 660/12 from a reputable dealer this week. It was manufactured in Sep 2023. All around the sides of the body where the binding and wood meet, I can feel the transition between the binding and the wood. It is worse on the right side. There is about a six inch stretch where I can fit my finger nail in the depression between the body and the binding. No cracking of the finish or anything like that. It’s like either the binding has shrunk, or it is set too deep into the body route.

I have many guitars and several newer ones with binding. None of the newer ones have anything like this where you can feel the binding to wood transition all the ways around, and even see it in some areas.

Does this sound like binding shrinkage of some kind? Or is Rickenbacker just not real good at getting a flat transition between the binding and wood when finishing their guitars? The dealer said it something to do with how they scrape the binding during finishing and it is not an issue, but I’ve never heard of that.

Thoughts?
Uffingdon

Re: Binding shrinkage on new Ric?

Post by Uffingdon »

Yes that’s correct they do scrape the binding removing sealer and paint before the final clear coat is applied which in turn does create a slight step.

https://youtu.be/NEuqgZzKxC4?si=V1yKBM54Sq3or6k5
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

Uffingdon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:09 am Yes that’s correct they do scrape the binding removing sealer and paint before the final clear coat is applied which in turn does create a slight step.

https://youtu.be/NEuqgZzKxC4?si=V1yKBM54Sq3or6k5
I watched the video and saw the part where they are scraping the binding with a razor blade.

So does that process and technique vary by manufacturer? I have several guitars, both purchased new and used, with binding where the transition is practically seamless. You can’t feel where the binding ends and the wood begins for the most part. On some there might be an inch or two section where the is a slight step. I also have several that are 20+ years old, all purchased new, where there is a step all the way around. For those I assumed it is binding shrinkage, but they could have been like that when I bought them. I don’t remember.

So it sounds like this might be normal for some. Maybe a result of hand scraping. Maybe the ones that are nearly seamless are machine done?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

lazerdriver wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:01 pm ... All around the sides of the body where the binding and wood meet, I can feel the transition between the binding and the wood. ...?
By "side" I assume that you are referring to the junction between the binding and the cutout in the body around the side (rather than on top).

I checked my 2003 620/6 MID and found that along the upper (bass) side of the body, I can feel a "seam" where the binding meets the body cutout, but on the lower (treble) side, the transition is smooth (no noticeable seam). So what you are describing may be "normal". :shock: 8)

FWIW the only example of binding "shrinkage" I am personally familiar with was on my former 350SH:
P6080346.JPG
P6080347.JPG
Since I had bought this guitar used, I don't know what it looked like when it was new.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

doctorwho wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:19 am
lazerdriver wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:01 pm ... All around the sides of the body where the binding and wood meet, I can feel the transition between the binding and the wood. ...?
By "side" I assume that you are referring to the junction between the binding and the cutout in the body around the side (rather than on top).

I checked my 2003 620/6 MID and found that along the upper (bass) side of the body, I can feel a "seam" where the binding meets the body cutout, but on the lower (treble) side, the transition is smooth (no noticeable seam). So what you are describing may be "normal". :shock: 8)

FWIW the only example of binding "shrinkage" I am personally familiar with was on my former 350SH:

Since I had bought this guitar used, I don't know what it looked like when it was new.
Thanks for replying. I am starting to accept this a being 'normal'. Since the binding scraping that was described previously is done by hand, I assume there must be variances in how deep they scrape. Maybe a little deeper on some, not as deep on others, and maybe even some areas where you can feel and/or see the transition and some areas where it is imperceptible.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”