Doubling Pedal for a 12 String

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pathelms

Doubling Pedal for a 12 String

Post by pathelms »

After nearly 40 years, our band finally went into the studio. We did some doubling for a couple of leads that turned out great. I've been considering trying a couple of pedals (Keeley, Mimiq) to reproduce that effect on stage.

My current "rig" is a JB3 through the normal channel of an AC15. Plug in with the attack set on 11 and I'm happily in Byrdvana. The tone pretty much takes care of itself and there not a lot I can do to screw it up.

Has anyone had any experience with these type of pedals? Are they effective in my quest? Am I risking the serenity I've come to enjoy with my set up or can such a gizmo be integrated without much fuss?

Thanks!
Pat
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Doubling Pedal for a 12 String

Post by jdogric12 »

What makes doubling so enjoyable to hear is actually the imperfection of it. There is no way a human can literally play something exactly the same twice. The best experienced studio players can get close, but it's still not 100%. I kind of lost interest in pedals just before the boutique thing started to go nuts in the last 10-20 years, so there may be something that does this now I'm not aware of - that replicates the imperfection of playing twice. But of all the things I'm aware of, the best you could do would be a delay pedal set to super short delay time, and just the one repeat, maybe into a second amp, so one is completely dry and one is just the delay. Set the amps on the opposite sides of the stage if you have room. That would be pretty neat.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Doubling Pedal for a 12 String

Post by jps »

A real doubling pedal would be able to anticipate what is going to be played before it actually is, so that the doubled part moves around ahead of and behind the original line. So, what is needed is a time machine pedal. :mrgreen:

This song that a friend and I wrote back in the last century has a doubled lead part. Steve wrote the acoustic guitar part and I did the electric guitars on a 1978 RD Artist; the bass is the '67 4005WB with the neck toaster solo'd, played with a pick. Both went through my (at the time) Walter Woods MI 100-8, going out of the Line Out to a TASCAM 3440 (15 IPS with the dbx on).
Attachments
Daffodil Trail.mp3
"Daffodil Trai" Copyright © Stephen J. Rago & Jeffrey P. Scott 1982
(4.72 MiB) Downloaded 14 times

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”