Help with indentification

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Bob_Cebulski

Help with indentification

Post by Bob_Cebulski »

I was asked to look into solving what seems to be a wiring problem for a friends Ric.
At first glance I would say it is a Oct 1966 370/6 Fireglo. He claims to be the original owner and that the guitar has never been modified or even opened by him

It has 3 pickups, the accent vibrato and the ric-o-sound stereo option.
The problem turned out to be a bad solder connection for the ground.

The wiring appears to be original the Neck and middle pick up are wired together and the balance control affects the neck and middle in both of the switch positions ( up and middle).

The question I have is "inside the control cavity was written (twice) 365-M and a persons name.
Every thing I have been able to find on this page indicates that a 365 is 2 pickup guitar.

any thoughts ?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Dick Burke was the woodshop foreman from the late 1950's till his retirement just last year.
He does not own nor will he buy a computer.He would be great to have on from time to time.But ..............forget it.
If he gets wind of my talking about him ,tell him hello for me.I think of him when ever I get covered in sawdust.
Anyway to your question......................

The writting insidethe bodies has nothing to do with reality or what the final model is.The bodies are made up and then necks glued in at a later date.At that time the model designation is narrowed down but not cast in stone untill the assembly are near the end of the line.
Dick would use his in house tracking system for the batches that would travel between the woodshop building to the finishing building.

Do I know the code? NO!
Does John Hall .............I doubt it.It was Dick's coding to keep track of how many bodies/models were being delivered.It did not matter what the final designation was at all at the delivery point.If the writting is underthe finish ....it is most likely stock.

The persons name is someone who performed one of these tasks;
prep sanding ,paste wood filling,taping of the binding before entering the spray booth,defect fixing(gluing hair line cracks,chips etc.)and binding scraper-after the color was sprayed.

If it says Laura ,that was Laura Clark.She was there for years.Sort of the shop Mom.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Bob_Cebulski

Post by Bob_Cebulski »

Thanks Mark
for your information

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”