Rickenbacker Hamburg 325 V59

The history and music of the Fab Four
Bobby

Rickenbacker Hamburg 325 V59

Post by Bobby »

Hello, I am really feeling the urge to buy the above mentioned guitar because I am a huge Beatle and John Lennon fan but I wanted to make sure I was paying the normal going rate. The guitar is jetglo and was quoted to me at $1,450.00 Is this an ok price? Also, I have read that John had a '58 model and am hoping this vintage model is as close to John's 58 as possible(is that why it comes with a Bigsby tremelo?) What does capri mean? I saw that in the title referring to the 1958 model but not to the vintage release. Thanks much for a fab forum.
Bobby
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well to get the 'Real deal' I take the Manufacturers suggested list price ,figure out what 25 to 30% off of that is ,add the tax,and round that off to a figure that is reasonable.
Then I already have chosen the guitar that I want,add show the salesman the fact that I have a wallet full of cash.I then ask him/her if they want to spend a lot of time haggling over the price or do they want to take the figure that I have asked and give me the guitar.It is a 10 minute sale.Period.
That way they have my cash and then they can go back to the wannabbes/lookyloos.

You would be surprised how fast you can be in and out if you know what you want.
As for E-commerce.....well you get what they want to sell you .Could be the dog of the month.I prefer to play it first,and see if it moves me.

I know that E commerce is a wonderful thing but buying a guitar without playing it is too weird for me.An amp....yes.I mean ...come on a Fender Twin is a fender Twin ( at least if it's stock)But a rickenbacker 12 string in fireglo is something that needs to be seen and played.

The preceeding is the opinion of the author and in no way reflects the opinions or views of the proprietor of this website.All flaming will please be directed at the author and not Peter ,as he is busy with more important things to respond to.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
paul_harbinson

Post by paul_harbinson »

be very careful of large retailers (Guitar Center), you will be taken advantage of. The best thing to do is search the internet as you have and find out what the going rate is. I recently purchased a 360/12 (list $1600) for $1000. I basically did what the respondent said before. "I have $1000.00 cash. Straight w/case and tax. Take it or leave it. The sale was done in five minutes. Try Rickenbacker dealers that are local and have a quality reputation.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Thanks Paul, and Mark for your replies : )
Bobby
Gary_Cost

Post by Gary_Cost »

Bobby;

The Rickenbacker 325v59 're-issue' has a lot of problems if you are looking for an authentic 'John Lennon' reproduction! That is why alot of folks are spending major dollars in the process of 'Lennonizing' this guitar. It's a good place to start, and it is a great playing guitar but 100% Lennon '58, No Way!
I can provide you with a complete 'list' of 'make-overs' if you are interested.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Gary, thanks a bunch for taking the time to reply and for your kind offer of additional info. I seem to be having trouble tracking down a jetglo version. I prefer this to the mapleglo because that is how it first appeared on Ed Sullivan. A question if I may... The v59 has a Bigsby tremelo on it because John put a bigsby on his yes? How come RIC didn't put a Bigsby bridge on it as well? Also, is this the closest model RIC has introduced to John's old 58 or has Ric introduced something even more similar in the past. I have been frustrated in my search of official Rickenbacker dealers for a new jetglo v59. How long ago was this re-issue introduced and what is the best way to get my hands on one? Thanks much
Bobby
Gary_Cost

Post by Gary_Cost »

Bobby;

If you go over to Peter McCormack's site 'The Rickenbackers Registration page', then to the Rickenbacker Database, and then to the Rickenbacker Vintage Reissue data, you will see a pattern. Only John Hall could be more exact on the 'release' dates of various models but I have found that the 'Ed Sullivan' model of John's that you are referring to was offered by Rickenbaker around '84, 88-89, and 96-99. These guitars have been offered on places such as 'E-Bay' for $1,575 and more (after the 'Lennon' mods were completed.
This model guitar has been the subject of more 'modifications' than if Chevy would release a 'Vintage' series of the '57 Chevy!
To answer your Bigsby question, Yes John had a Bigsby vibrato and bridge added to this guitar. When Ricenbacker issued the v59 series they added the Bigsby vibrato but not the bridge. Why? As years go on new inovations come along and 'outdate' older things, and while the Bigsby vibrato is 'still' pretty much as good as they get, the new Ric' bridge was much better. So in my opinion John Hall & staff added what they felt was better hardware while still maintaining the 'flavor' of the guitar that John Lennon first used to get our attention!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Thanks Gary! : )
Rod_Evans

Post by Rod_Evans »

Bobby,
Just a few notes:
While not nearly "correct" the 325v59 is a great guitar and likely plays much better than John's.
Better tuners, bridge.
You can't intonate a Bigsby bridge and one without modification(you need to grind the pickguard side of the bridge down to get it to line up perfectly) will not play without the low "E" nearly falling off the fretboard.
You want action, go to a dealer or guitar show with cash. Most of the best deals are made in the parking lot of a guitar show or with mom and pop stores rather than chain stores. You should be able to pick-up a 325 for about a grand.
If you go with the internet, confirm an approval period! 24 to 48 hours should be plenty of time for a reputable dealer to let you inspect their wares. If they can't give you that, RUN LIKE HELL.
There are a lot of 325's sitting in music stores because a 325 is a tough guitar to get used to, especially if you have big hands or have been playing a Gib or Strat. Make sure you're used to playing a 3/4 guitar. Lastly, check out gbase.com,
you can surf 299 dealers for your guitar. I'm always looking for deals on 325's and they are out there!
Gary_Cost

Post by Gary_Cost »

Rob; I played and owner Gibsons for 30+years when I bought my first Ric 325, and I too heard that the 325 short scale was a 'nightmare' to get use to. But for me it was the best fit possible! I had NEVER had a guitar that felt as though it had been 'custom made' for me.
jetglow

Post by jetglow »

Hi Bobby,
I have the "Burns" knobs available on my web site
at: http://pages.prodigy.net/cook-c
jetglow

Post by jetglow »

Oops, I almost forgat to tell you that the site also give full instructions and pictures on how to Lennonize you 325v59.
Daniel_Pérez

Post by Daniel_Pérez »

Hello, I'd like to know if the 325v59 sounds the same as John's original (despite all the differences), I'd like it to sound the way John's sounds in "Woman" (I mean, that's the ricken, isn't it?). Is it true that John's 325 was made of alder and the reissue is made of maple??
jetglow

Post by jetglow »

Yes, the origional was made of adler wood and the re-issue is of maple.
The 58' also had a thicker body, it was appox. 2'inches wide.
Check out my web site for complete details on how to do a Lennon mod to a 325v59.
http://pages.prodigy.net/cook-c
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

You're trying to compare, unsuccessfully, a '59 and a '59 guitar. Some of the '58s, including John Lennon's, but not all of them were made of Alder, but virtually all of the '59s were Maple. It isn't called a 325v59 for nothing.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”