Rickenbacker String Converter, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Adam_Bruce

Rickenbacker String Converter, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Post by Adam_Bruce »

Does anybody have any information about this device, it was around in 1968 and that is all I know. Does anybody own one? Can you send me your pictures of these? Do they work?
I am trying to gather as much information as possible about this device for an A-level major project at college, please e-mail me with anything you have about it, especially if someone has some designs of it (technical drawings)
e-mail = adam@bruce.derbycounty.co.uk
PS I own a 360/12 V64 if anyone is remotly interested!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well I for one am remotely interested,but to answer the comb question...

The converter was designed by James E.Gross.In 1966 the guitar maker and Gross signed a licensing agreement and they went into production during the winter of 1966.They ceased installation in 1976.

I worked at the factory from 1972 /July to 1976/Oct and by 1974 we were pretty much done with the things .It was an interesting device ,but not really useful.You stil had to finger all 12 strings and you could not play Blues licks with it.
So it was great as a rhythmn guitar device but was self limiting.

You could pull out of the way 1 to 6 strings at a timt.It was not a fast device to use and when you went back to the full 12 string mode you had to retune.At least more often than not.

For more info/photos visit the Richard R. Smith book'The complete History of Rickenbacker guitars' and go to page 196/197.

The ISBN # is 0-931759-15-3

This will allow you to find the book anywhere in the world
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”