Eve Of Destruction

Those who flock to The Byrds
admin
Site Admin

Eve Of Destruction

Post by admin »

I realize that the Byrds turned down the opportunity to record "Eve Of Destruction", a mistake perhaps in retrospect. Did the group ever record or perform this song? I have not been able to see it listed in any discography that I have seen thus far. It would have been a perfect song for them in the mid 1960s.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, if it is listed somewhere, it is cleverly hidden. I wonder what the complete collection would cost. Their releases seem endless. LOL
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Don't you think it might have been too "in your face", too blantantly political for the Byrds? I mean EOD did not pill any punches. I remember my parents and Aunts and Uncles (no rock fans, they) discussing that song with digust. Though it wasn't my poppy cuppa tea, that discussion made me buy it! BTW, other, lesser, garagey bands covered it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry: I am not sure what The Byrds thought of this. And your pun "EOD did not pill any punches" would seem right up their alley. Just kidding. It may have been a hot potato, I am not sure.

I have yet to see direct evidence for this. Covered by Buffalo Springfield, The Turtles, Pretty Things and Three Dog Night to name several.

bassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by bassman »

I checked my Byrds Box Set, EOD is not included on any of the 4 CD's in the set.
I hadn't looked at the booklet that came with the box set for a few years. Its got a lot of great photos in it, including studio and live gigging shots from 1965.
Here's one of the three remaining members and their favourite insturments.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stay tuned. I still can't find a listing of EOD for The Byrds. An mp3 floating around would appear to be that of the Turtles, and mislabeled The Byrds. I guess we will have to go to Roger McGuinn for this answer.

miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

I have been searching for this, and I can say for sure that The Byrds didn´t record 'Eve Of Destruction' in 1965, nor I believe the song where offered to them. It seems that P.F. Sloan did offered it to The Turtles, who turned it down, although they recorded it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Miguel: You may indeed be correct in your assertions. I am reaching the same conclusion. I have talked to several others lately who would agree with your comments and they have forgotten more about the Byrds than I will ever know.

miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

I love The Byrds, so I have been listening and reading all thing Byrds since a long time ago, including bootlegs, and I never came across a mention of 'EOD'. But it would have been a nice song for The Byrds. Just imagine Mc.Guinn singing the song with his 'Lennon - meets - Dylan' 1965 voice, ad a good measure of 12 strings Rickenbacker and you have a 'lost classic'!
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

EOD too blatantly political for the Byrds???I think not. Crosby took it on himself to be the Byrds mouthpiece[often to Rogers' dismay]and wasn't afraid to speak his mind.I think Gene Clark would have been the lead singer on it, had the Byrds covered it.I imagine him giving it a pretty emotional delivery, not unlike his "Set You Free This Time" from Turn, Turn ,Turn LP.
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

I can definitely hear a Byrdsy version in my head, but think Crosby would've nixed the idea as being the 'Hollywood' version of a protest song. As much as I like the song, it seems a bit too poppy for them . Then again, we ALL seem to enjoy speaking for the Byrds!
mark_telfer
Veteran RRF member

Post by mark_telfer »

Too true, Steve and it's ironic that David's upbringing had more to do with Hollywood than any of the other members, but even today, David advocates that The Byrds were about poetry rather than protest.

P.F. Sloan's own account of the writing, publishing and recording of "Eve Of Destruction" is here:

http://www2.gol.com/users/davidr/sloan/aboutsongs.html

The song would have suited Gene Clark's voice very well, but Gene had plenty of his own songs and I don't think that he ever sang a solo lead on a Byrds cover version again after losing the battle to sing lead on Mr Tambourine Man.
"But the man has a 47-string guitar." (Grace Slick on Paul Kantner's attempt to tune his 366/12 during a Winterland show of October 31 1969).
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

Wow, Mark- That's a great little article you provided the link to. I really enjoyed it. Amazing a 19 year old would write those lyrics.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

There is some connection of the Byrds and Turtles. Byrds never recorded EOD but the Turtles did record a Clark-McGuinn tune, You Showed Me...Turtles also recorded, EOD, and was at least released on their 20 Greatest Hits CD (which is weird since it wasn't a hit for them).
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
bluespckr

Post by bluespckr »

I played EOD for many years solo, and with various home-grown garage band type groups. I think the average club crowd thought I was deranged. But beyond knowing it was recorded by Barry McGuire, I knew little else about it ... until connecting with Mark's link. Good stuff and a great story. But The Byrds doing this song would have been the absolute bomb (no pun intended with the subject). Although any of several members could have sung it, I think Roger would have been the best and most interesting fir for this. Thanks again for the great link.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”